1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pronghorn Fleshing

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jason.fairbanks, Oct 30, 2018.

1. jason.fairbanks

jason.fairbanks Member

I don't get many pronghorn in thankfully. Two capes this year that the hair was literally falling out after thawed. Both stunk right away. I fleshed the hides as delicately as I could. Neither cape is fit for mounting since gobs of hair fell out. I was on this hunt....24 degrees at the time of harvest and in the freezer 4 hours later. Whats going on?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Did you use a fleshing beam by chance?

3. jason.fairbanks

jason.fairbanks Member

Yeah....trying to be delicate. Didn't work.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Call it a lesson I guess, that sucks. Their hair breaks or falls out just by looking at it. I use a scalpel and ulu knife for fleshing speed goats. I haven't attempted it on a fleshing machine yet, not sure I will.

5. jason.fairbanks

jason.fairbanks Member

Makes sense to me...hair was falling out immediately after thawing. I should have never attempted the fleshing beam regardless of how delicate I was trying to be. Gonna be an expensive lesson.

6. dale65

dale65 Active Member

All the ones I done do have a goat smell maybe that was the smell but you can't flesh them like you do a whitetail there skin is fairly thin anyway if you cut the hair roots on the inside it will fall out easy and the skin will slip a lot easier on them especially on the sides of the checks where the pockets are if there not opened up

7. jason.fairbanks

jason.fairbanks Member

I was familiar with the scent glands being prone for hair loss. The 1st cape I blamed the hunter because they rolled the cape up in a garage overnight. Maybe I was wrong there too. The 2nd was WTF...I thought I took all the precautions needed since I was on the hunt with my buddy. Hair was falling out turning the lips and ears. I will probably hand flesh in the future with a scalpel.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Get a hold of Dave at western wildlife on here. Good seller.

9. jason.fairbanks

jason.fairbanks Member

He has come to the rescue with a couple of mulies clients decided to drag out or cut too short...first time fixing my mistake :/

10. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

The hair on a LIVE pronghorn can be broke off easily. When I worked in a shop that did 150 of them a year they pretty much went straight into the pickle with just rough facial fleshing. All detail fleshing was done post pickle. If I were doing them in my shop they'd be sent straight into the Krowtan. The skins are thin, no need to put them in a beam.

dale65 and George like this.