1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Real Teeth In Gator Head ?

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by msestak, Oct 31, 2018.

1. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

My son shot an alligator with his bow in 2013. we had the hide tanned and the head is a skin mount.

when you feel the teeth, there are ridges on both sides that look like they were molded and they feel kind of rough not smooth like teeth.

is this normal or were the teeth replaced with replicas ?

2. I cant tell you if the teeth were replaced.
    But i can tell you gator teeth do not have ridges on them. The are hollow and smooth , gators are continuesly replacing teeth . When you pull a tooth out there will be another under neath it.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I can't imagine someone going through the agony of replacing the real teeth with fake ones, unless they lost some or all of them. Post a close-up photo just out of interest. There's really not a lot you can do at this point.

4. I tend to think the same thing, but if these folks are actually selling these at this price.welllllllllllllllllll. I might havevto start steeling teeth.o_O:D DA6EB0C4-7803-4653-88E9-3ADFCB2D8F3D.jpeg

msestak likes this.
  5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you had the hide tanned with the head left on, this is what caused that issue. Croc and gator teeth tend to fall apart during the process. I'm not sure if it's the chemicals or the tumbling, or anything else, I just know from experience that if you want the teeth intact, you remove the skull from the hide before tanning.

6. msestak

the head and hide are separate.

7. Msestak,
    Im going to retract my previous post. Thinking about your post. I got off my lazy rear and went an inspected some teeth pulled for a skull.
    They do have a slight ridge that runs on the sides of them. Some are more pronounced than others. Some show none. I can see where it looks like a molded line. I took two picks of two opposing teeth both have it.
    I believe 100% the teeth are real. F62A9F19-6BBC-4F3D-9993-1DCB1CACACA8.jpeg A32AE472-1B4D-4747-A063-85DAC4E054C6.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  8. msestak

that looks like what we have

thank you