1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dall Sheep

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BearBonz, Nov 3, 2018.

1. I do quite a few Dall Sheep and rather good at removing the horns. However, I have one that was pretty dry when I received it, I slit the skin around the base of the horn and soaked in water below the horn line. Then bagged it for 2 weeks. Well it didn’t work.
    I’ve heard about drilling up into the core to allow water to get in and re soak. Has Anybody done this before?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Personally, I have not, but drill into and through the horn on the back side where it will not be easily seen. Drill through the horn and into the core. Try soaking again and submerge it as best you can and rotate the head so water gets into the holes and inside the horns. You should be able to see bubbles coming out as they fill. After they have sat in the bag in a really warm place for a while, try using a rubber mallet on them and hit hard and in the direction you want them to rotate off the core.

BearBonz likes this.

3. Thanks. I’ll give it a try. I’m sure it won’t be easy

4. jimss

jimss Member

I legally picked up a bighorn ram a few years ago. The horns were locked on just as you mentioned. I soaked the entire horns/skull in a garbage can for a couple weeks. It still wasn't easy! A rubber mallet really didn't do a whole lot. I ended up putting old carpet on my lawn and threw the entire horns/skull on the carpet as hard as I could. Gradually I worked enough of the horns loose from the skull until they came off. I smacked the horns on the ground on the front and top sides of the skull to break it loose. Obviously you don't want to hit the ends of the horns on the ground or they may snap off!

5. any pics of the results?

6. Yes. They popped off. I injected water between the core and the horn, put it back in the bag for a few days, and with the rubber mallet they popped off
    upload_2018-11-28_7-11-12.png

Attached Files: