1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Troubles With Moose Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Derek Pomeroy, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Derek Pomeroy

Derek Pomeroy New Member

Hey guys new to the forum. Hoping to get some info on whether or not my dermestid colony will eat the cartridge around the nose or not. I've attached some pictures.

Also are these larva from dermestid beetles? I'm praying not blow flys. My box is being heated at 76 but outside the box is been 40 degrees the past week. I have hanging fly traps and haven't caught one yet.

Thanks for the information! 15413454677955796073188002302761.jpg 15413455014158369861174092113215.jpg

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

What you are looking at are maggots. Dermestids will/should strip the skull if they are active. Best thing you can do for the maggots is to pick them out by hand as you find them. Those you miss will turn into flies and leave. You may not be seeing any flies but all it takes is one to lay hundreds of eggs. If your container has a screen top they will just drop eggs through the screen

3. Derek Pomeroy

Derek Pomeroy New Member

I was afraid of that. I have picked out probably a dozen or more. I've been checking a lot today. They will not kill the dermestids will they? I have a hard wood box, but it's not 100% air tight.

4. I do a lot of moose. I try to trim as much cartilage off as possible. And get that long center piece out as far back as possible. It will dry too hard before they’ll eat it. They will eat a good portion of it.

5. Derek Pomeroy

Derek Pomeroy New Member

Ya I cut it back except about a 1/2 inch from the bone and 90% of the middle and I touched it today and it was rock solid, so I don't know if they could eat that or not. I have around 5000 beetles, I got most of the meat and all the brains etc out but I can see it's going to take awhile. First time with beetles. I do love watching them.

6. Doubt if they’ll eat it. I use a small wood chisel and cut it out as far back as I can. Some moose are that way. It’s almost like bone.