1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Crappie Blank

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by WLELTD, Nov 4, 2018.

1. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

Any body have a 20 inch crappie blank?

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Je
    Jesus's dad didnt make any that size.

Sotired and rogerswildlife like this.

3. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

They live next to the 15 inch gills and 13 in pumpkinseed jimmy

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I mounted one that was 21 inches here in Indiana. But yeah a 20 inch crappie blank would be hard to come by. I get a few 18 plus every year to mount, but only once the one below that was over 19 inches.

[​IMG]

I'll be feed training and rearing hybrid crappies starting next weekend in my basement. Look for some bruisers in a few years.

Sotired, Jimmy Lawrence and Lance.G like this.
  5. Jimmy Lawrence

I've had a running deal in the shop anyone who brings one in gets a free mold and cast. Guess how many came in? 0.

I molded a 19.25" 4.32lb hybrid crappie last year and have another one 19" from the same lake caught a year later to mold also.

I have a lot of literature on hybrid crappie . They fascinate me. I've been into them for a long time.

Cecil and Mudbat like this.
  6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Mine may or may not have a black stripe on top due to the possibility of the male broodfish being the black stripe version of a black crappie crossed with a White Crappie. I know Arkansas or Mississippi Fish & Game does it so they can differentiate from their regular crappies when they do surveys, but don't know for sure about my supplier Malone and Sons. I just asked the friend that is delivering them on Saturday. I hoping not but it's not a deal killer for me as it was a pain in the ass to get both species this spring to produce my own.

Sotired likes this.
  7. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

I understand Jesus"s dad didn't make a lot of them but sure he made a few,and that is why I'm asking if anybody had a blank,You know how fishermen are ,adding inches all the time

8. Jimmy Lawrence

Indeed they do. Indeed they do.

Steven Klee likes this.
  9. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

turns out the 20 incher is 17

Cecil, Lance.G and Jimmy Lawrence like this.
  10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Not to hijack the thread but the hybrid crappies I will be getting on Saturday for one of the basement tanks will indeed have a black stripe like this on top. Hopefully that is not an issue for skin mounts if they are huge crappies.

[​IMG]

Lance.G likes this.
  11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

So typical.

Did have a woman come to pick up her bass. First thing out of her mouth was, "Looks like you made my fish bigger." I'd never hear that from a male! :p

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Lance.G likes this.
  12. Jimmy Lawrence

FB_IMG_1522882850014.jpg
    This is my 19.25" 4.32lb Mold. Hybrid Crappie.

Cecil and FishArt like this.
  13. Jimmy Lawrence

Here's another 17.5" that I haven't molded yet. Also a hybrid.

Attached Files:

Cecil likes this.
  14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Jimmy,

I like how you did a great job with the caudal fin on the crappie above. I see so many fins on crappies -- even the skin mounts -- that look unnaturally painted or look like sheet.

15. Jimmy Lawrence

I hate painting crappie. Especially fins :/

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I don't mind painting crappie but the caudal, soft dorsal, and anal fins, can be a challenge to repair and paint if they are all split up like they typically are from rough care.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  17. Fishingtyler

Fishingtyler New Member

Il
    l

18. Fishingtyler

Fishingtyler New Member

I’ll be headed your way as soon as I get another one!