1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I Don't Know Who's The Dumbest, The Hunter Or The Taxidermist.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by fish stuffer, Nov 5, 2018.

1. fish stuffer

fish stuffer Active Member

Hunters nowadays spend so much money trying to kill a buck, they ain't got any left to pay for a descent mount. Guns, ammo, club dues, stands, the list goes on and on, no need to list it all. Friggin cameras, everywhere, filming deer at night eating your corn, taking selffies while sitting in the stand. Filmming videos while they sit in the stand and posting on unsocial media, so others can see them. Everybody wants attention these days. Their life is really suckin so they want people to think they are living the good life. If you see a good 8 point, wait! That's not the big one, there's a bigger one that I have on camera. If you get the big one, how does that make you Danniel Boone? Been putting out corn for 3 months and just before the season you dumpted a truck load. After spending all this money and time you leave your head at the cooler. Let the woman decide for you who does your mount. You know darn well little Freddy is paying her to send deer his way. How do you get plenty of deer mounts? Simple, open a processing plant. It's a fact, even if you suck at taxidermy, if you process you will get more than you can do.
    Then we've got the tube videos, showing everybody how quick and easy it is to mount anything. Time lapse? Mount an elephant in 7 minnutes. Deerhead, 5 min tops. Then some conventions have speed mounting contests. See who can mount a deer the fastest. The dry preserve guys admit they use it because it's the only way they can make their buss. work and turn a proffit. All the F.B. "groups" or pages about taxi, ain't worth a damn. Just a way for taxis to show off their work,........to other taxidermists. DUGH! Show you're absolute best piece. Never mention how much you charge, or how you put extra, unlimited time in that piece. Of coarse it looks better that the guy who's doing them quick trying to make a living.

We should be doing the opposite. We should be trying to make the hunters understand just how much work goes into a mount. All the expences involved. Like in the post I just read about wild boar prices. I'm in the same boat, I get a call or two a year about boars, but when I tell them 750 0n up, all I get is a thank you and click. Hunters think you should be able to mount their hog for about 400 I guess.

I think in the future, more will get into teaching , and prices on teaching taxi will fall, just like the prices on doing the mounts. Those of you with good bussinesses might argue, but the ones struggling to get work might start teaching for low prices. The hunters who want to learn it don't know the struggle, hard getting money out of clients, getting enough work, hard way to make a living. They think it's all easy and taxi's getting rich.

If it keeps on going, the number of hunters are decreasing, or so I read. The number of dermists are rising, but about as many go out as get in. Prices of materials go up, profit for the taxis go down, and the hunter is no smarter than he was 10 years ago. He knows nothing of the expense and the enormous amout of work that goes into a mount.

Ya'll excuse me, I got to go make a video on mounting a deer in 10 min. without getting my hands dirty. I'm going to put it on youtube and get rich. I think I put too many ss's in businesses. Pardon my spelling.

2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Would you like a group hug?

JL, Cecil and Ron B like this.

3. That's all about right. I actually had a 25yr old a few miles down the road from me call over the weekend and ask me if he could come work at my shop until he learned enough to do his own. He then proceeded to let me know he would bring his own deer to work on as to not interfere with my clients work. Basically he's already taking in deer and had no clue what to do. I was too speechless to even give an answer.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I always got 20 to 30 year olds wanting to learn taxidermy at my shop. I always said sure come on over at 7:30 pm and we will work until 12:30am. And then meet me in the shop at 4:30 am and we will work until 6:30 am. Monday through Friday. We start at 6:30 am on Saturday to 1:30 am and 9:30 am to 6:00 pm on Sunday from August to June. Out of all those requests, only one took me up on it for one day.

The reality is that when working 10 hrs at a day job and 6 to 7 hrs a day at my taxidermy studio is a lot of work. No hunting, no fun.

msestak and GWebb like this.
  5. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

fish stuffer, you actually had time to sit down and write all of this on a Monday morning after a weekend of deer season (opening weekend for me)? You must make better use of your time than I do.

6. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Fish stuffer what is your point. I think it's alway been that way. I think more fish ,mammals and deer are mounted today then ever. There may be more taxidermist but it easier then ever to do a commercial mount.

7. Educating customers is the hardest part,around me people would rather pay for a one eyed deer to save dollar's, Teaching them the difference between quality and poor work is my battle.

D.Price, freeze_1 and fish stuffer like this.
  8. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

answer: most Taxidermists small business owners are dummer. They work 60 plus hours a week and 99 percent make little or no profit and some don't even pay themselves. Their spouses work hard at real jobs or they could get welfare using their tax returns. They give deals and take in more business than they can produce in a reasonable time and then want more and are upset to hear about a big buck that went to the competition. They use over debited credit cards to pay for the supplies and the tannery or they tan everything they can themselves to speed up their burnout and stress outs. They start hiding from their phones and don't sleep well yet a friend will call that makes good money and if pressured they will give him a deal for his daughters buck to be mounted. They will argue on this site how they can't get "those" prices in my area! Yes, most taxidermists who own small shops are dummer than rocks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    D.Price, glenbob, Paul B and 4 others like this.
  9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hear! Hear!

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I doubt most have ever taken a business class and few taxidermy classes. I always recommend business classes first, then taxidermy classes before starting a business.

11. fish stuffer

"Asking for recomendations." If you really want to know who to get to mount your Boone and Crockett buck, get on fb and ask for reccomendations. Every Tom, Dick , and Harry will name their friend. They know he is watching and if they do a commercial for him, they can expect a deal next time they want a mount. I've seen some say ole Joe does the best. I'd look at his work shaking my head. I've even had my friends reccomend me, saying I was the best. Again, shaking my head. In this case, I vote for the hunter for being the dummest. lol

Paul B likes this.
  12. fish stuffer

I'm in GA. It's 70 degrees out. A customer calls and he's on his way from Ohio, been driving 9 hours. Open up the cooler, long haired deer cape with no ice on it. It was 20 degrees and snow when I left so I figured it will be alright. I said "Dude !" It's not 20 degrees here. Not snowing neither. "Here's your sign."

13. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

And lets not forget, they have the deer tied to the hood of their truck for everyone to see and keep it at or above body temperature!

fish stuffer likes this.
  14. I agree that some people always want something for nothing, but then you'll get those that will offer to pay extra for caping, skinning, etc. Personally I try to justify any increased cost with somewhat of a value added approach. If you produce a quality mount using great products you need to justify it proportionally in regards to pricing. I do my own tanning as well which allows me to turnaround mounts much faster than if I had them commercially tanned. Added work for convenience but the customer usually appreciates the expedited turnaround time and doesn't say much about any additional cost. Your always going to have those that want to compare prices it just goes with the business. If your able to itemize the cost too sometimes that helps.