1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bugs In Mounts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by point75, Nov 5, 2018.

1. point75

point75 Active Member

I have found an infestation of bugs in a client's mounts. I've seen the Rice Krispy type shells before but I've never seen the actual bugs. This mount was crawling with bugs. The bugs are on two old mounts that look to be dry preserved. There is no evidence of bugs in the mounts that I've done for the client. I use a national tannery and have never had an issue. We immediately removed the old mounts from his trophy room. We want to make sure this doesn't spread throughout his trophy room. I've never had to deal with anything like this and any guidance would be much appreciated.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

A national tanned skin is not bug proof. I would go over all the mounts with a fine toothed comb and a magnifying glass. Tanneries had to stop using their bug proofing agent due to regulation years ago and I haven't heard of them using a replacement. I could be wrong, but, I don't think so. There are bug killing bombs, sprays and topical chemicals used to fumigate the mounts sold in stores and taxidermy supply companies.

3. post some pics of the bugs

4. The mounts were not tanned properly and by properly I mean, the rest still meat inside the Cape. Had a customer with same problem ended up re caping it for him. It was something I had never seen before. He has came to me ever since