1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Elk Hide Tan No Hair Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by jbtaxidermy, Nov 5, 2018.

1. jbtaxidermy

jbtaxidermy New Member

I had a client bring in a bull today that he wants the back hide tanned but without the hair. He wants to make a coat out of it. I usually flesh, salt and send hides to the tannery. What should I do different to have it tanned as a raw hide with no hair? Is this something I should do before I send to the tannery or is this something they will do during the tanning process?
    thank you for your time!

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It is impossible to tan a hide as raw hide because the definition of raw hide is untanned, dried hide. What you want is to tan it into "buckskin" or hair off leather. Any way, I have always had to find a tannery that will actually do hair off tanning and send it to them with all the steps I would do for a hair on hide.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Generally flesh and salt the cape. Now you need to find and I look for garment tanneries and have the client talk to them on what he wants.
    Now either you or your client can handle the shipping to them. Most 90% or our tanneries only deal with hair on and their not tanning for garment wear. It’s a totally different process that needs to be handled by garment tanneries.

4. sgsmith

sgsmith Member

A couple of things first flesh the skin, check it for any nicks and cuts as any blemishes will be very noticeable on the finished product, send lt to specialty leather or Yost leather for your hair off tanning, lastly a back half of an one elk hide is no way enough to make a coat.