1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Do You Think About This Deer?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dmac1175, Nov 6, 2018.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Not sure what happened to the poor guy. Do you think he will survive the winter? If so will his rack always be small on one side? Trying to decide if I should take him out or not if given the opportunity. IMG_20181105_100242.jpg IMG_20181105_100242.jpg IMG_20181105_095915.jpg Screenshot_20181104-211213.png

Attached Files:

2. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Member

Whitetails can endure and survive more than we can imagine. He looks healthy, he's mature for sure from the look of his mass and head. If I had the chance I'd shoot him just because i like non-typical racks. To shoot him from feeling sorry for him that's your call. Mother natures a mean B&%@ch and she doesn't play fair for sure. Let us know what you decide. Good Luck

3. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Got shot by a arrow last year IMO

4. GP1419

GP1419 Member

Maybe hit by a vehicle and broke his back leg, his rack will probably always be messed up because of the injury, he will be fine unless you want to mount him if not I would let him live. JMO

Fallenscale likes this.
  5. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Let me clarify. My thoughts are if the injury is going to get infected and he is going to die anyway I would rather kill him and make good use of him than he die and rot. BUT, if I knew he would survive and grow even bigger next year I would rather wait. I do realize given the leg injury he will probably always have an abnormal antler. But if the abnormal antler would be big and abnormal I'd rather try and kill him then. If he's never going to be bigger than he is now I would just as soon kill him now. It almost seems as if the injury is past the point of possibly getting infected. Looks like he's past that and is deformed. But who really knows?

6. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

might just be a couple of tumors. if he is walking ok then it wasn't an injury. in that case I would leave him alone to grow bigger.

7. Fallenscale

NY
    Question I have. museum man stated is he walking okay. If not what is your coyote population. And how much snow do you get in his area

8. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I put trail cam on video mode today so maybe I can actually see how he walks. Plenty of coyotes here in Oklahoma but snow isn't usually to bad.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

That deer is a bit of an anomaly anyway. Usually a back leg effects the opposite side antler while the front leg effects the same side antler. This guy has his wires crossed. I don't think the leg is going to be infected if it was broken. When a fresh broken leg appears, the hair is usually missing or has slipped until recovery is complete. From the looks of your photo, the skin looks quite healthy. It MAY be tumor but the last picture shows him with the leg askew. He looks as if he's 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 years old by our local standards. Taking him, however, is still an option for a unique trophy.

10. Fallenscale

NY
    There no doubt that if the leg was broke or wounded it has healed.