1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

newby getting ready to mount first deer.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by zebrajeep64, Aug 7, 2007.

1. i am planning on mounting my first deer this season. I was thinking about using the antlers from my first buck wich was a yearling. I was wondering if i shoot a doe if i could use the cape and mount the antlers on it. I know that the patch of hair between a bucks antlers looks different than a does but for my first deer would it matter? Or should i just mount the doe and be happy? lol

2. I wouldn't put those horns on a doe cape Zebra.If you need a small cape let me know.I've got a couple tanned that I would sell cheap.

3. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

If you dont get a buck cape and gte a doe yourself, just mount the doe and be happy like you said. A doe cape will not work for a buck mount.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

A doe form and a buck form are not the same in the face, and neck. If you just starting out, it would be good practice not to cut corners.

5. CAMOGUY

CAMOGUY CAN'T COUNT IT TILL YOU MOUNT IT.

ZEBRA TRY GAB ON THE SALE FORM. HE IS IN SOUTH TEXAS AND TELL HIM YOU WANT SOME PRACTICE CAPES. HE MIGHT HAVE SOME I GOT SOME REALLY CHEAP FROM HIM A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO. AND HE IS A NICE GUY.

6. thanks guys i will look on here for a practice cape.

7. Lots of people come in the shop and ask if we use doe capes on bucks. I say.....If you mount a set of antlers on a doe cape...your result is a doe with horns. Does and bucks have different facial features. Even in the off season when the bucks have dropped their antlers....they still dont look like does. I'm sure you can get a practice cape from on here or a taxidermist near you.