1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beetles Infected

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by SpanishGirl, Nov 6, 2018.

1. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Hi! As every autumn, i separate beetles in 3 tanks (I havent a "freezer tank" yet...): one i let with me, they are warm and reproductive. The other 2 are at my parents basement, warmer than the street. They feed them with dog food (beetles are not their duty and they disgust them). The fact is the bigges tank has this little bugs. Are they mites? All the larvae are dead.
    I know this tank must be totally clean and desinfected and the beetles are sentenced to die...

Dont know if the videos work... so i let this pic, but as the bugs are so small, maybe you dont notice them.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The videos did not work for me but, if what you see are small, white dots on the beetles, then it is mites and you should probably just get rid of the infected colonies. If they are being fed dry dog food, then this is almost guaranteed to happen. Maybe next year, instead of separating into different tanks, just keep them all together in one tank. As long as they have enough food they will be fine and your parents will no longer be disgusted.

3. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

YAAAS I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO UPLOAD THE VIDEO

Now you can see they are not white dots, but a very nervous little insects.

I separated them because I knew this could happen: its better throw away 20 beetles than all the colony. Even if they were together, my parents wont dry them flesh, thats why I have my little colony with me, with good cares, and the other just survive... I wish I could give them all good cares...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. Sea Wolf

I would not be able to identify a Spanish bug. :) If you keep picking them out and the rest of the beetles do ok then that would be the best that you can do. Many many beetles can all be in the same enclosure and live just fine. You can probably put all 3 colonies into one and they would be happy. Except now you have 2 colonies that have received poor care and now have invaders. I would have kept them all together originally but I would not put them back together now.

5. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Don't you know them? I thought things like this were common every part of the world!
    I don't know if they are bad or indifferent to dermestids, but all the larvae are dead. Next time I go home, I still dont know if free them or change them to a new tank, what do you think?
    Until spring, I won't put them together, I'm still looking for a freezer and all the components to make them a warm and comfortable home.

6. Sea Wolf

I have trouble playing the video but I was able to click through pictures and see bits of video. I can see the problem bugs are very tiny. They might be "Flour Beetles". Do they look like this? Also Google Flour beetles/Tribolium castaneum and see to compare. If this is what they are, honestly, it would be best to get them out of your parents house. These bugs will get into food in the kitchen and contaminate it. Any sort of packaged cereals and food will be ruined. Maybe they are already there. If your parents realize that maybe the bugs got into their home because you brought them there I would imagine that they will be very upset.

[​IMG]

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I think your diagnosis is correct Sea Wolf. They look like weevils to me, and since dry pet food uses cereal based binders to pellet it, their natural food source is in the dog food.

8. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Yes, maybe it could be, but google show me a beetle larger than mine are, i think it just show me the family and not the species.
    There is no problem about infection if they get into food in the kitchen cause are in the basement with no food, and the other tank, next to the infected, is not contaminated. I better say nothing and when I go, i free and throw them away and clean the tank.
    Thank you guys for the answers and the hard identification!

9. Sea Wolf

I would think that if you used Google (in Spanish) and searched for pest beetles, pantry beetles or something similar but in Spanish, you might find some pictures of what you are seeing. Try also a small bug called book lice.

SpanishGirl likes this.
  10. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

The problem is I havent any lens to enlarge them, so I really dont know how they are, but the book lice you said seems pretty close.

11. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Hi SpanishGirl, I just saw your video. The insects in your beetle colony are Psocids. Sea Wolf is correct. They are commonly called book lice. They feed on grains, flour and other household commodities. They managed to hitch a ride on something when you added it to your colony. They are harmless to your Dermestids! I am a retired entomologist.

SpanishGirl likes this.
  12. SpanishGirl

SpanishGirl Member

Thanks for the confirmation! Clearly they came with the dog dry food.
    Best news! So, when I come home, I clean the tank and bring them with me, thats what I should have done at the beginning...

socalmountainman likes this.
  13. Sea Wolf

Do not feed them dry dog food. Many, many troubles because of this.

Have to laugh when I see those advertisements for the school. I still have all the lessons, the binders .. catalogs ... everything. :)

SpanishGirl and socalmountainman like this.