1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning Beaver Tails

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by jason crozier, Nov 6, 2018.

1. I’m wanting to tan some beaver tail leather and have never tanned anything before. I watched a few videos on u tube and one guy prefers to use alum. Has any one tanned beaver tails
    at home? If so what was your preferred method?
    Thanks !

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

They’ll tan with any of the tans out there their.
    The reason you hear about alum so much is those who posts u-tube are wannabe tanners and alum is very cheap to get .
    Yes it tans and many tanneries still use it. The issue is in time it can break down.
    Synthetic tans soak tans are much better and they don’t wash or leach out. Plus their are many good rub on tans for the wannabes
    No matter what you choose remember pickle degrease repickle neutralize tan and oil.

3. What would yield the best result at home, for small items like beaver tails or small fur bearing critters like martin or fox?

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

EZ 100 is what I would use, however, since I used it several years ago, some other synthetic soak tans have come on the market. Some of those have received stellar reviews as did EZ 100.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

My first is ez-100 great tan plus it’s washable aka garment tan
    Pro1 , tru-bond,and knoblochs has a great synthetic tans also

6. Thanks fellas.