1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Long Should It Take To Mount A Fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by CJ 1979, Nov 9, 2018.

1. CJ 1979

CJ 1979 New Member

Hello, I'm not a taxidermist, but I need some advice from some pros.
    The fish in question is a 29 inch Rainbow Trout. My dad took it to a local TD to have it mounted. The guy took a $200 deposit and told him it would take a while, at least 6 months since he doesn't do many fish and has to wait until he has a few to do at once so the paint doesn't get wasted. Understandable, I wouldn't want expensive paint going to waste either. So my dad said, "OK, take your time and just do a nice job." That was over a year ago in Oct. '17. Is this acceptable? I think it's been way too long and the time for patience has lapsed. What do you all think?

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I think it's about time he mounted your fish. Have you contacted him? 1 year isn't an unreasonable amount of time in busy shops, but your fish should be coming up soon. Give him a call and ask for the status of your dad's fish.

FishArt likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Well it depends
    First does your contract give you a completetion date?
    If not, what was said verbally can mean nothing for that’s hear say.
    Hearing about the painting is kind of bull but this is his shop and I have no idea on how he cares for paint.
    My clients have a two year waiting list and this is told straight off. I’m not worried about how long you wait cause they know the out come of their fish.
    Other factors are health, in over worked with other work, full time or part.
    None of us can tell you yes or no if this is fine. We can tell you that it’s not just to get you even more pissed off than needed.
    Be nice and go and talk to him? Doing it hear for us to hash over what maybe hearsay is not a good idea. Talking to the horses mouth is much better:

rogerswildlife, John C and FishArt like this.
  4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

My concern is the statement he made that said he doesn't do many fish. Kind of a red flag to me. Did your dad look at some of his fish work? I would call and do a courtesy check on the process of my fish.

George, rogerswildlife and FishArt like this.
  5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm with Frank - except for saving a small amount of time by painting in batches, the paint excuse is a load of crap. I wish taxidermists would just be honest with their customers! As mentioned, we can only speculate. Truth be told, the time it takes to turn around a skin mount could be under a week. You're waiting for all the customers in front of you or perhaps a multitude of other non-taxidermy reasons mentioned by the others.

Also as mentioned, only doing a few fish scares me too! If I were you I'd call him and ask if he has started your fish yet. He may feed you another lie, but whatever he says I'd ask if (you) could stop by and talk. Then, if you find out he hasn't started your fish, ask for it back along with your deposit and go elsewhere. One year isn't out of line for some. I've been up to two years myself as well. But, stringing along a customer with no end in sight is not cool. I always call my customers and get in front of things IF I'm running behind...

rogerswildlife and Kerby Ross like this.
  6. CJ 1979

CJ 1979 New Member

Thanks for the input JoeyM. I'll give him a call sometime and check in.

7. CJ 1979

CJ 1979 New Member

Thanks for the info Mr. Kotula. I'll take your advice.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  8. CJ 1979

CJ 1979 New Member

Thanks for the feedback Wildthings. To answer your question, yes we did see some of his work and it was very good, even the fish.

9. CJ 1979

CJ 1979 New Member

Thanks for your advice FishArt. I'll take the recommendation of you and the others here and give the guy a friendly follow-up call.

10. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Marty said that "a skin mount could be done in a week." Have we forgotten about M.T. who claimed his "24 HOUR turn around time" for a fish? Where is he anyway?

11. joeym

It might take me half a day to skin and mount a fish, then a week or two later after drying, prepare to paint, paint. gloss, and do finish work on habitat...buuuut...it takes me 6-8 months to get to that fish! There are probably a couple of hundred other projects in front of that fish. When I was young, broke, and full of piss & vinegar, I might have that fish finished in 30 days for the right amount of money. But, at 63, I don't need the money pronto. Everyone just has to take a deep breath and wait...I will get it done, when I get to it! Seriously, very few projects go past the 1 year mark.

12. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Lmao. I forgot about him. Man Taxinet used to be cool. Always something going on.

13. Im 4 to 5 months before I ever pull them out of the freezer. Im also a batch guy, If I am going to get nasty fish smell on me!!! Lets get them all done at one time, till the next go around.
    I always give fish a least a month to dry. Maybe longer, I hate prepping to paint!!!!!!!!!!. Thats a good day in its self. Another day or so letting all that stuff harden, dry, setup. Then paint them all, another full day. I use envirotex on mine. Another full 24 hours of drying. Then putting them all on driftwood , etc. another day.
    I believe that comes to 6 months and 6 days.
    Then the fun part waithing for three months or longer , on the guy to come pick it up thats had called ever other week “ Just checking on it”

14. I guess the only thing to do is call him and see what's going on,as we all know sheet happens ,deadlines in taxidermy are more times than not made to be broken ,it's hard to predict how other things will get in your way.

John C likes this.
  15. jemmick

jemmick Active Member

WNY
    I quote 12-14 mo. and never get ph calls for people cking as most are done in 9 or 10 months if I run over their always done in 12 mos anyway , No problems !!!

16. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Sometimes it takes a bit longer to ensure the is no smell. My friends, sister had a bass mounted by a guy that teaches taxidermy, two after get fish back they threw it out as it smelled like rotten fish. I would rather that smell be in my drying room, then at a customers house.
    I had a walleye 80% done, drying just couldn't figure out why it still had a smell in the head. after two months of drying I finally removed the head and went with a reproduction head. Customer was happy.

JL and George like this.
  17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

DAMN, why didn't I ever think of that paint idea scam. Just think of the time I could have goofed off by feeding that line to a customer: "I have to wait till I get about 20 or so just so the paint wont go bad." I wonder where you buy paint that spoils.

WilliamHansen and JL like this.
  18. joeym

I have about 4 hours total time in a fish. I can mount a fish in about 20 minutes. Everyone knows there's a lot more to it than the mounting process. I place them in front of a fan in a room with a dehumidifier. 48 hours later, the fins are backed, eyes set, and the back sealed with body filler. It's sealed and painted the next day. I usually skin and mount 5 at a time. Sooo, the first guy that brings me a fish has to wait til the 5th guy brings me a fish...usually a month or two, depending on the time of the year. To the fifth customer, I'm a miracle worker, to the third customer, I'm just an average taxidermist, and to the first customer, I'm a slow a$$ taxidermist!

Wildthings likes this.
  19. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I tell some of these guys do you want the fish to stink in your house or mine?

20. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    I must let my fish dry a lot longer then I have to. No less then 14 days. With real head.