1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Long Should It Take To Mount A Fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by CJ 1979, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Back in the 1970's it would take my fish about 4 weeks to dry before painting. Today I clean them way better ..... soak them in Dawn ..... soak them in Coleman Fuel (not as a degreaser, but it sure does suck the moisture out) then into a borax & zinc sulphate solution which you can keep them there for months .... and then mount. Put a fan on them.... and here in Arizona I can paint them in a few days, but I usually wait a week.

:)

Kerby...

rogerswildlife likes this.
  2. George some of the lacquer I get from McKenize these days does dry up before I can use it. Its very very watered down with thinner. Seems to evaporate right out of the closed bottle.

fish stuffer likes this.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Mine does as well, but I just have it on my "To Do" list that each week I go through and add lacquer thinner. Then I finish with my paint, I use a black Sharpie and mark the level on the bottle. When I see it's evaporated, I add thinner. I will admit to losing some of the seldom used paints, however, just for that reason.

rogerswildlife, Kerby Ross and JL like this.
  4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Bartenders do that too ... when they are ripping off the owner of the bar. Add some water to keep the level up.

:) :) :)

Kerby...

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

O.K. call me ignorant but how does paint evaporate out of a container that is completely sealed? I haven't noticed the problem or perhaps I'm not paying attention. Maybe I just assume I am using it up.

6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Paints today come in plastic bottles and some in cans. If you notice a plastic bottle that is showing some collapse the thinner is permeating either through the plastic or the cap. If through the plastic it will feel somewhat sticky, through the cap you won't see it. Happens all the time with my insect repellent over time and I can't remedy the problem.I tried several ways to fix it with no success, just have to live with it. www.whitemountaininsectrepellent.com

Cecil likes this.
  7. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

MT = empty