1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Advice On Whitetail

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by GP1419, Nov 10, 2018.

1. GP1419

GP1419 Member

Just had a deer come in that was shot in the lower jaw that completely blew it apart. customer wants to use his cape or just euro mount it, in my ability I can't fix it, his bottom lip is completely destroyed, is it possible to replace just the whole bottom jaw with another one off of a scrap cape or would this be very hard and noticeable, I'm guessing I would cut at the corner of the mouth around to the other corner and then just sew it together, am I missing something or would this look terrible, I'm not great at sewing but I do my share of it.

2. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Without seeing the cape its hard to say but it is possible to do what your saying and make it not too noticeable you could try to fix the cape befor you cut the skull and see how you like it then you can allways do a Euro if it's not to your liking just make sure you charge for fixing it not your fault they shot it there

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Dale is dead on, but I would encourage you to try. You say it's beyond your ability, but if you stay in this business long enough, you'll eventually have to learn to make a horse out of horsecrap. If it's just the lip, certainly Apoxie putty could recreate that. I've put things together that had no reason. (Back in the archives someplace I talk about using an innertube to stretch and otter skin when the valve stem stuck and I picked pieces of otter out of my teeth.)Sewing it will take a fine needle, some fine thread, likely a magnivisor, and a bunch of time so charge accordingly.

dale65 likes this.
  4. BowDeadly

BowDeadly "LIFE IS GREAT" It's better with a bow

DO A SKULL MOUNT AND CHARGE HIM $500.00 FOR IT.......HeHeHe

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I shot a deer in the back of the head and the bullet exited through the left eye. There was a hole where the eye once was that was about 3" in diameter and some skin actually missing.

It was way beyond my ability to repair, that is, until I did it. At 10 feet you can't tell it was totally destroyed. At five feet you wouldn't notice unless it was mentioned and at less than 3 feet, someone would say " I can't put my finger on it, but, there is something slightly off.

It's amazing how a jigsaw puzzle problem will come together with a little patience, glue, pins and thread. Throw in some Apoxie Sculpt and paint and just like that, it looks good enough to look good.

dale65 likes this.
  6. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Yeah you do it long enuff you will be amazed at what you can really do I did a fox squirrel once that was shot with a 3006 didn't have one leg but it turned out petty good after a lot of sewing so yeah it can be done

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I have replaced entire bottom lip areas after getting the deer on the form. Many times by cutting out the damaged area, cutting a replacement from another cape, and bradding and carding in place. It's a fix that only a taxidermist would notice, and that's if he's looking for something to critique. Again, a picture is worth a thousand words. It's tough for us to know the entire scenario without seeing it.

fish stuffer likes this.
  8. GP1419

GP1419 Member

Thanks guys, its in the freezer right now, when I thaw it I will try and figure out how to post a picture of it but it sounds like I can fix it or at least try, once again thanks for the help.