1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help With Fox Earliners

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Trapper2016, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello everyone, hope your having a great season.

I am gettiing ready to mount a full body fox and for this one, I am using a new type of earliner and I am a little unsure of how to mount them and I am hoping that you might be able to give me some advice. I have mounted fox before as a hobby taxidermist for myself, but in the past I have used the cellastic type earliners.

I have the earliners all ready to go and they have been sized to fit the ears. I have scuffed them up to allow good adhesion, but I am not sure exactly how to attach them to the form. I have the measurement of where the earl canal enters the brain, and i am assuming that the middle of the earliner needs to align up with the canal. My main question is, when i go to mount it:

1.) Is it best to use a screw to attach to the form or just use clay to secure?
    2.) Should i cut out a cavity in the head form for these type of earliners ,or are they meant to mount directly to the form. I know that has alot to do with the measurements on the fox and the skin available, and Im probably not describing this really well.

Just curious how you guys who have used these would approach this. I appreciate your time and comments.
    Thanks

Chris fox ears 2.jpg fox ears 3.jpg fox ears.jpg

2. Robert Wise

Robert Wise Member

Glue them on with hot glue then I sculpt the edge the whole way around with epoxy sculpt don’t get crazy just enough to blend to the head the butts are already done. Let set then I take a knife point pointed down right on the edge of the epoxy and cut at an angle the whole way around the ear -will break out with foam from the head.......set your ears in the skin I use Pro 1 get everything lined up and keep an eye on them usually over night.... bag the rest of the skin with ears out .... when your ready to mount it the ears will already be keyed by the cuts and go right back into place... no big deal just make sure the symmetry is correct- height ect .....

Jon S and Trapper2016 like this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Chris, I gouge or cut out some of the foam where they go then fill with clay. Glue liners in ear and mount and press them into the clay, where I want them. This way I can adjust them as they dry or tweak them to give the critter life or attitude if you will. It seems that they all have their own "personality" and that sometimes doesn't show til the skin is on the form.

Trapper2016 likes this.
  4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

You can gouge out the foam, get them where you want and then remove them. Then fill with bondo. Cover the bondo with plastic wrap. Reinsert the earliners and make sure they are set where you want them. When it kicks, remove the earliners and plastic. When you are mounting, they will slip right back into place.

VSDM-reg, pir^2h, Jon S and 1 other person like this.