1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New “taxidermist”

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Fishingtyler, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Fishingtyler

Fishingtyler New Member

Hey everyone I’m fairly new here. I haven’t posted much of anything. I’ve spent most of my life fishing (I’m only 23) and spent my highschool years in class drawing on my paperwork. I’d like to call myself an artist along with an avid outdoorsman. So I had this thought a year ago that hit me.. I oughta take my knowledge on fish anatomy and coloration and artistic skills and start mounting fish! So I did. And here I am. One toe in the sea and a sea full of questions and curiosities. I don’t even know where to start. There is no taxidermist close to home to talk to so I came here. Maybe looking for some critique on my first ever attempt at a fish mount. I know by experience the best way to learn anything is to If anyone has any criticism or direction to point me feel free to do so. I’m open ears. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If that is your first attempt, I would say you are doing pretty good. The mouth and eye set are the points that stick out the most as needing improvement. Study reference for these and see what you can figure out. Just a hint, don't use reference of a bass being held by the bottom lip.

3. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Looks like you on a good start just have to play around with colors I start with bright yellow then cover it with your other greens and so on depend on the type of paint also you can get you a repo and paint it over and over just to get it where you like but looks like your going to do good. Good luck

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Not to pump you up too much, but actually I think this is one of the best "first mounts" I've ever seen! Kudos to you for paying attention to the finer details. As 3 Bears mentioned (I think) the mouth needs the most attention. Your upper lip is jacked up too much especially. I cannot see the eye very well to tell if the eye set needs work. The pec fin base/epoxy work needs a little massaging. It looks like a glob of epoxy and is rarely, if ever all white. Refer to your reference here. Paint job is pretty good actually. As far as colors go I won't be too critical there because colors vary so much and I've seen plenty of bass these colors. Some refinement here and there is all I'd recommend. The gold tips up top look pretty good, but for some reason they don't look consistent enough is size and shape and don't look natural. The tail juncture looks like there might be a minor issue there, but tough to tell for certain in the pic. The black markings in the middle tend to be more defined and not as fuzzy and also generally lead into the tail slightly. Not much else to critique IMO.

Certainly, the "crispness" and more complex painting will come with practice. But, also be careful with "over-painting". Some will tip scales all over the place and with numerous colors just because that's what they've been told is taking things to the next level. And, oftentimes (IMO) some of those fish look over painted and the tips oftentimes have obvious brush strokes. IMO, if you can't lay down a natural looking scale tip, then usually you're better off not doing it (in commercial taxidermy)! Practice, practice and more practice! Great start!!!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  5. Fishingtyler

Fishingtyler New Member

Thank you sir!

6. Fishingtyler

Fishingtyler New Member

Awesome. Great information. I appreciate it. I noticed my eyes were turned upward slightly and wasn’t sure how to fix it without ruining something. You are correct with the epoxy. I’ve never messed with it in the past. Also the tipping looked great to me until I got a 3rd of the way down the fish I should have stopped there. This whole thing has been a massive learning process and I hope I remember everything on the next one. Thanks again.

FishArt likes this.
  7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome. If you look at your avatar pic closer, you can see what I am talking about, even in a vertical position the upper and lower jaw are hyper extended which is accurate if you are mounting it with a cast hand holding it but not for a natural open mouth, swimming fish. We all started somewhere and that is a pretty darn good start. The one good part about messing up with the painting is you can redo it, with minimal effort but anatomy issues are harder to rectify.

Fishingtyler and FishArt like this.
  8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    you off to a excellent start if this is your first
    use some powders for tipping, and charcoal sticks on dark markings and soften with soft brush, you nail this fish as your first.
    I know a guys competing in masters doing commercial work that look nowhere near this good.
    Stick with it
    CL

Fishingtyler and rogerswildlife like this.
  9. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

Awesome man keep it up ! I'm not sure what state your in but I strongly recommend joining your state taxidermist association and compete it will put you over the top !
    Tommy

Fishingtyler likes this.
  10. Fishingtyler

Fishingtyler New Member

I’m in Kansas. That sounds like a great idea I guess I didn’t realize that there’s competitions for this.. thanks!

11. Fishingtyler

Fishingtyler New Member

Hey I appreciate it! Charcoal would be much easier than the crayola pencil I found laying around the house. I’m still working on my supply collection and learning what to use. Thanks for the tip! This forum has already been so much help to me. More so than the YouTube videos I’ve been watching to learn this art.

12. Go to the Kansas Association of Taxidermist website and Facebook page to see what it's all about. I highly highly recommend joining and attending next years convention in March. Rick Krane is the judge for 2019 if i remember right and if you're interested in doing fish what better time to attend. You'll have a blast, learn a ton, and make connections in one weekend that'll last a lifetime. Lots of KAT members are on this site (including myself) and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about what to expect.

Kerby Ross and jjennings.m like this.
  13. Fishingtyler

Fishingtyler New Member

I will certainly look into going. I found the page on Facebook. Thank you for the information and I will keep that in mind.

Cecil likes this.