1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rittle Ez Tan Questions

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by xsticker, Nov 13, 2018.

1. I just started tanning my deer this year and want to know if I mix up a 50 gal batch of the tan in a 100 gal. plastic stock tank will 10 deer capes be too crowded to tan properly or should I do smaller batches. also if I mix a 50 gal. pickle how long can I use it, if I wash everything before I put it in the pickle and keep it clean and the ph level correct. I have used this tan before, just never tanned all my deer yet. thanks for any help.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok first off if your a user of ez-100 then you should know what formula to use and that will tell you how much water, salt and tanning powder you need.
    Not being a pr here but all I use is Bruce’s tan and using his weight per pound will tell you.
    As for the pickle as long as you don’t contaminate it , you can do 50 plus hides in a pickle
    Just keep the pH 2.5 to 2 and salt 40-44%
    Ps in his instructions usually 3 -4 gallons per cape.

xsticker likes this.

3. I was just worried about over crouding, I have only tanned one or two at a time, and am a little hesitant about doing all my deer this year.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You have a 100 gallon tank and mixing 50 gallons of solution which is 100 lbs of drained skins which averages 14 -18 deer capes depending on size etc.
    I use a 55gal tote which does 7 plus capes in it.
    I just make sure I mix the capes up every now and then .
    There should be more than enough room but you have to make sure you mix the capes so they get tanned.
    Personally that many at once I would rather do smaller batches cause if I can’t be mixing them it’s not worth trying and screwing up. This is why tanneries have tanks that either roll or have paddles that does the mixing.

Bruce_Rittel and xsticker like this.