1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ots Ear Butt ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Slate Run, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

This question is for those of you that use the OTS 360 and 100 series ear butts may I ask how do you fasten the ear butt to the form and the ear liner to the ear butt? I know the ear liner fits into the ear butt, but do you just set them in there or do you use your hide paste or glue to fasten them? I make my ear butts out of clay now, but was thinking about giving the OTS ear butts a try. Also is there a difference between the 360 ear butts and the 100 series ear butts? They look the same in the catalog. Thanks

2. Haven't used the ones from OTS but I MeKenzies have similar ones I have used. Usually I counter sink a screw in the front and used clay to smooth out the edges. Ear liners I just pop in to place with a little bit of hide paste in as well. I have never had an issue with them coming out or moving.

3. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Active Member

Ohio
    I use the OTS ear butts and ears a lot. I simply counter sink 1 screw in the ear butt and into the mannikin. As for the ears, simply put them into the ear butts. Skin will dry and hold everything in place. Plus the ears fit tightly into the ear butts.
    And yes there is a difference in the 360 & the 100 ear butts. Each are designed to fit there own series number of ears.

4. Good to no I'll give em a try

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm waiting till the light comes on in some sculptors mind about making the manikin with an ear butt plug and then casting the earbutts for the 360 ears to just plug into the manikin. It really ain't rocket science.

6. davidferguson

davidferguson Member

bam 20180912_185843.jpg

TPT66 and kjdouble like this.
  7. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

David Ferguson where did you find that head at or is that something you do. If so mind explaining how you did that

8. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Just put a thin patty of clay on the flat bottom of the butt. It will hold just fine. If the cape fits good it should hold in place just fine. I put 2 T-pins on each side of the ears at the Y cut to hold while doing the face.

9. jk

jk Member

I cut the base off of these ear liners. This allows me to build the butt with clay and get the base of the ear down into the bottom of the ear butt. I also cut an area out of the form for this ear base.