1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Stubborn Grease

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by bucksco80, Nov 18, 2018.

1. bucksco80

bucksco80 Member

So I’ve noticed with younger whitetail skulls like button bucks and spike bucks especially I’m having a hard time getting the grease out of these skulls. I soak my skulls in a 5 gallon bucket with fish tank heaters in bucket approx temp is 80-90. Some skulls I just can’t get the grease out no matter how long they soak. What else can I do?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Turn up the temp, 115 to 120 is the best temp I've found for deer and even the youngens will take 3 weeks to a month.

3. bucksco80

bucksco80 Member

O
    okay I had a feeling that was my issue with long degrease times and issues. With using fish tank heaters I will have to see if I can get them hotter.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

80 to 90 is for macerating. To degrease deer you need 120. I can get a fish tank heater to get to 115 but that is pushing it. Have only had one ever get to 120. Look for other thermostatically controlled heaters to get to that higher temp. Try the Advanced Search and look for the caveman bucket heater thread.

5. bucksco80

bucksco80 Member

okay thanks I will search for that, im just not very good with electrical stuff and afraid of having something catch on fire. I do a pretty good amount of mostly whitetail skulls and need to come up with a good degrease setup.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

A lot of the pictures to the original post are gone but go through all the pages of the thread. There is a lot of info there even with the broken pictures. There are other threads too on others degreasing setups. Be creative with search terms and be prepared to do some digging. Try bucket heater thermostat, water heater element thermostat for a few.

bucksco80 likes this.