1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Transport Bans

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 3bears, Nov 19, 2018.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Holy chit, is anyone else tired of educating the general hunting public on these bans? I don't work for the state of MN and it costs me time and money as well as lost revenue for mounts, to do this. Not just a few hundred dollars, I am talking thousands. I'm certain that some, if not all of these people are still breaking the laws and finding someone to do their work. I had a guy call this AM wanting a euro done of a raw head killed in another state. I educated him and said I can't touch it and he asked if he should just bury it in his yard and let it get naturally clean. WTH? I told him why it was not a good idea but he probably won't listen. These bans will ultimately cause the spread of CWD more than contain it but those assholes won't listen.

msestak and tazzymoto like this.
  2. Everyone's probably feeling the transport bans. It sucks cwd been around longer than most of us have now they want to keep getting stupider it's a crock if u ask me. But laws r laws. In time this too shall pass I have been told

3. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

It really put the hurt on California taxidermists when they put a ban on deer and elk unless all brain and spinal cord material was removed.

4. I got a call Sunday from a MN resident that was hunting in Wisconsin. He shot a deer on Saturday and it was now frozen and he couldn't cape it out to bring it back across the border. Wanted to know what his options were. I said he would have to leave it in Wisconsin. I bet he brought it home with him.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

In states where there is no tagging, its impossible for a taxidermist to know where the deer originated. I don't think CWD is spread by dead deer crossing state lines...mainly live ones.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Bruce, I've had to turn away no less than a dozen heads from Wisc. not to mention other states. Good thing I started this season out when they call by asking where they harvested the animal before anything else is discussed. Needless to say it has cost me substantial, again. The states all seem to do a horseshit job of educating the public. Yes, I also know that people like to play dumb, either way we end up on the short end of the stick on all accounts.

7. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Before I started taxidermy I would just find a taxidermist in the state I hunted to mount it for me. Then just drive back up to pick it up.
    I understand they do not want to spread it.But I wonder if all the feeding programs that people are doing now are helping spread more than transporting them from state to state. Now don't get me wrong I'm not against feeders and mineral licks. I just know that when its flue season I don't want to go to the Shoney's hot bar and risk getting it.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    No that has nothing to do with it Dwb5, just ask them. What it boils down to is they can't put those cats back in the bag, now that they let them out, unless they can claim that it potentially spreads a disease that will possibly wipe out the exact animal folks want to perpetuate.

jessewild likes this.
  9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

3 bears you need to think outside the box have had several from out state come in tell them take a paddle bit on cordless drill and pop ahole in the back of skull where they cut from the neck and shove a garden hose in and blow out the brains most gas stations will let you use hoses done

10. byrdman

w
    why is feeding banned in the cwd zone then .. curious your thoughts

11. If it comes into alabama it's got to be cleaned skull plate and the cape. Turned down 6 so far.

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN

13. byrdman

the baiting thing is stupid too but you can bait every animal you want to hunt or trap except ducks why would they let you bait bear and not deer still a lot of guys putting feeders out and dont really care

14. It has to be a clean skull plate. Not just a feeble attempt at removing some of the brain matter. The prions are also located in the lymph nodes which are located at the base of the jaw. Your brain blasting doesn't get rid of those. Plus there are several other nodes where the prions are found in the head. I'm sure the DNR would be very interested in your "out of the box thinking procedures" with out of state deer.

15. byrdman

yes they were and imspected them all and cleared them

16. BS

3bears likes this.
  17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Who inspected them? The MNDNR or the other state? Other states won't give 2 sacks of chit about what MN's import laws are.
    byrdan you either didn't know or forgot that I, as well as a couple people from the MN Guild took this BS all the way to the senate and the DNR for people such as yourself, that either were scared or turned a blind eye towards it and plain and simple, if you want to be a law abiding person, the only way around or through this is to follow the rules spelled out. The only other option is to break the rules and suffer the consequences, when you or caught or potentially help perpetuate the disease in a new location, which is not acceptable to my way of thinking.

18. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

Tennessee requires all skulplates be cleaned to enter the state

Triple J Taxidermy likes this.
  19. According to Byrdman you can just squirt a little water in the brain cavity and you are good to go. lol

20. I think someone has shot some water in his own cavity.