1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail Pack Mount Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Libitina, Nov 19, 2018.

1. I had a customer looking for a quote on a pack mount. Wondering if anyone could give me some insight into these mounts since I haven't done one yet. How much hide do you need to save, and does it need to be tanned a special way? I'm guessing I'm just mounting the head really, and then folding up the leftover hide, correct? Also if anyone could let me know where I might be able to find the pack for these, and biggest question, what do you normally charge the client for this?

Thanks,
    Nikki

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would use as much hide as my reference photos suggest. I would dry tan it. I would fold the skin to match my reference photos. I would charge shop rate plus time to do it plus materials and services. I would google something like deer head in hunters pack or something like that. I would google old hunting pack boards for sale.

3. Definately want to dry tan it I would use 3/4 of the deers hide.

4. swb

swb Member

Joeym I believe did one and posted a while back that turned out really nice.

5. mj757

mj757 New Member

W
    hy dry tan? Will you still be able to mount the head in it? I guess you would glue everything? I have done 1/2 capes that were wet tanned but I have a full sika cape I have to do. Thanks for the input

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You glue hide/paste every where on all mounts . You rehydrate the head , then it’s no different then mounting a wet tan .

7. Matuska taxidermy supply have several type of packs

8. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

Look through Matuskas back log of FB lives .... They sell a plethora of pack mount whatnots, Ill be tackling my first 2 this year. but I am opting to build my frame from tobacco sticks and source my "extras" from goodwill and yardsale stuff. I bought an army footlocker at a yard sale this past summer full of vintage hunting and camping stuff Ill be able to use. Gonna use old milsurp wool blankets. Will be using all the hide I got from the customer. Theres a lot of room for artistic interpretation and creative license on one of these, personally I feel like there should be a main compartment of the pack full of something to represent meat thats been quartered out, no one back in the day would hunt just to harvest a hide. I plan on using green army canvas and cutting big cheap sttyrofoam blocks and then using a bed roll and probably some other tie on accessories

I went with research mannikins change out heads because they have 4 inches of neck and because I was already ordering forms from them