1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whats Your Choice Of Bedding Compound

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by antlermike, Nov 23, 2018.

1. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

Now that High Fiber form Hills has been done away with. I have tried sand but think its to messy to work with not to bad with saran wrap between the fish and sand but must be something better out there

2. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    I still use the old High Fiber I've had for a while but there's someone on here--DONDI I think---uses a 'play dough' that he makes......I think.

antlermike likes this.

3. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Research has a substitute for hi fiber ,haven't tried it yet

antlermike likes this.
  4. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

I tried play dough may go back to that

5. JHardman

JHardman Active Member

I have used homemade play dough for several years for bedding all my fin molds and some small fish. It has worked really well for me in the past for some things. There are a bunch of recipes available online the one I like the best uses cream of tartar. The only tweak I add to the play-dough recipes online would be to knead in some extra oil; this does two things. The added oil tends to keep the play-dough from drying out and seems to keep the salt in the play-dough from pulling the moisture out of the fish. I have never tried molding a large fish with the play-dough but I will be doing a 10lb walleye this way before too long so I guess we'll see how it turns out. Also I have kept that play-dough with the extra oil around and used the same batch for several years without any trouble.

Kens Fish likes this.
  6. is the new High Fiber not work able???

7. antlermike

antlermike Active Member

I have not tried the new stuff but I hear it is not very good

8. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    The same was probably said when people had to search for something to replace asbestos. Sometimes you just have to work with what's available. IMHO

stuffit44 likes this.