1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Long Can Hide Stay On Before Hair Slippage?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Zerk, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    How long can the hide stay on a deer, before you have to much hair slippage? Looking to do a hair on tanning. This would be my second. It was in the 20s for few days when I shot it, but yesterday was 45 and today will be close to that. I am going to butcher probably tommorrow or next day.

Is it to late to save the hide for hair on? Last time I found a table listing temps. Colder the better I realize.

If so, Ill probably wait until I shoot one in warm weather, and butcher it right away. I am just looking to do one as a wall hanging or drapped on something.

Thanks

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Skin flesh and salt, it will likely be fine. It is often a case by case basis, if the hair side of the skin is wet than you may have some issues.

3. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    It is hanging in my barn now. Was outside when in 20s, with snow. Then back of truck, up to maybe 44 yesterday, so got little wet.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If you are doing it yourself then go for it and if it fails oh well, you can call it a learning experience. If you plan to have someone else do it then be prepared to pay for it either way.

5. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    Haven't decided. Last one I did I got in a rush at the end., and didn't break it well. Was considering bring this one in. So it would come out nice.

I also got part of bear.

6. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    12 days since I shot it. First few were 20 or lower. One warm day. Got sick so didn't get to it. Today also first day above freezing, so I skinned. It seemed alot of hair came off. More so my first few cuts on the legs to get started. But I really don't know what to much is. Is any to much?

How do I know if was on to long and bacteria got it? it is freezer now. Will I know during the pickling, will it just start coming off in obvious clumps?

I could do a buck skin, but I like the hair on hides better.

Thanks.

7. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok to be honest you ruined it as for hair on and who knows how much of the skin is rotted.
    Nothing is going to save your cape. It’s best if you want to tan hair off right now.
    Any animal can start to slip from the time of death.
    Treat them with respect if you want quality. Skin them ASAP and take proper care to insure a quality cape and even to everything right you still can have an issue but minor.

8. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    should have skinned it right away to let the meat cool.

George likes this.
  9. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    It was 20 degrees out, and dropping when I shot it. I am not worried about ruining the meat. It was hard on the hands butchering, cause there were ice crystal in some parts. Wanted to keep the hide on, keep it clean, until I could butcher it.

I am hunter. The hide is 2nd to me. Not a cape, just something to hang on the wall.

Don't tell me I wasn't respecting the animal.

It is not unusual for people who eat their animals in cold climates, to let a deer sit for a long time, when below freezing. Most of the time was 20 degrees. Some would say to cold to age. Though some don't age.

Ill have to wait until I shoot something around the house, or warm weather maybe.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  10. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Aging is a wives tale. Get it butchered and in the freezer asap unless you want dog meat. Freezing stretches the meat fibers same as hanging and you don't end up with funky tasting, starting to rot meat. The hair on the hide, left on the carcass, only serves as a blanket to keep the meat from cooling quickly. If the hair on the hide is slipping, it is already rotting and the meat under it will be tainted as well. Next hide you get, skin it right away and get it salted and scraped down quickly.

GWebb, George and msestak like this.
  11. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    I am not in Texas. Our meat doesn't turn into dog meat. Its not hot as _____ here. It is common to not skin deer right away, during gun season.

I realize being from Texas you won't listen to anyone else. But another reason to hang is to let it drain. I realize many people have their own opinion on how to butcher deer. Being froze the deer didnt age or drain much. Lots of people do, and lots of people don't. But like I said these ain't Texas deer they don't taste like dogs.

I do know one guy who skins right away, since it is easier, and he was talking about hair getting on it too.

The animal was froze within hours. I was waiting for a day above freezing, to make it easier.

I wanted the animal clean at deer camp. I realize you can wrap them in stuff.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  12. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    If it can't be tanned with the hair, oh well. I am a hunter. I just though it would be something to do this winter.

As far as leather being bad, I kinda doubt it. Where do you think your gloves come from? You think the people dropping them off salting, and such? They are skinning, it and dropping it off when they get to it.

13. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    chit, like I said go for it, you don't have that much to lose and plenty to gain as in knowledge and experience. You can flesh and salt and dry. The rehydration bath prior to the pickle, is where you would likely find out if it is ruined or not but be prepared for that. No matter what some hair is loose and falls out but when it sluffs off in chunks or big areas to expose bare skin is when you really know. Guys his meat is probably fine, it may not be exactly how you handle it but that isn't what he asked about.

Rausch and msestak like this.
  14. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    My first hide on I did it all wrong. Shot around 50 degrees during day. 2 days latter put table salt on it with iodone, for first round. Before I knew not too. I didn't break it well. It doesn't sit really flat. Maybe to thick. But other than that, ok, 6 years later.

Will see if I die, since I ate it. One of these days I should try different, maybe it would be different. But I would need to camp set up. Plus no fun when it is the teens or lower at night.

If I get one at home, I will atleast skin it right away, if cold enough.

15. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Iodized salt is ok to use. I used to use it all the time with no ill effects.

GWebb likes this.
  16. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree with this statement. I have always and will continue to age my wild game if the weather allows for it. I do skin animals as soon as possible and then hang them for up to a week. I have nevered ended up with dog meat or anything resembling a funky taste. Just my 2 cents.

EA, cyclone and msestak like this.
  17. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    The second a deer dies his hide is dead and the sooner it’s skinned and salted the better for a nice tanned cape to mount. Bottom line

18. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    Rausch do you notice any dry meat on top or does silver skin and fat protect? I have heard it both ways, when hanging without skin.

19. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

I remove the tenderloins because they are prone to drying out too much. The muscles that you split between the hindquarters dry out some too but not terrible. The rest stays pretty good. When aged properly the backstraps come out considerably easier and smoother than they do on a fresh kill.

20. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    I get terminology mixed up, I think used improperly too. I left outer in fridge last night in covered. Was late night. They were little dry in spot. I should start taking out inner when I shoot them.

This was an easy one. Rode snowmobile right to it. But some years it can be work and you are tired.

msestak likes this.