1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Long Can Hide Stay On Before Hair Slippage?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Zerk, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    No need to cut throat , just hang head down. Gravity never stops. until it freezes that is.

You put the hide in a freezer. Is it that much different? At what temp does bacteria freeze?

2. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

George I’m sure you’ve forgotten more than I’ll ever know and that’s fine by me. If you take a look back at this thread I respectfully disagreed with Seawolf about aging wildgame. I didn’t call him a liar or try to say that I know more than he does about it. I just added my personal experience to the discussion. You sir had to come in with the same attitude that you have on most every post. You think you know more than everyone else 99% of the time but you have to be an a hole while you do it.

3bears likes this.

3. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    DONT POKE THE BEAR !!!

4. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    Took the hide out of the freezer. Got it in 40 degree garage to get loosen up. I threw it in the freezer so I could butcher.

Want to practice my fleshing. I got part of bear to do next. Left over from my mount. Thick hair. Which may be practice for next time when I do a rug.

If the hair starts slipping bad in the pickle or at some point I will do a buck skin. If it all goes bad, then it is just practice Out some chemical and salt. just a hack trying to learn something new, for the fun of it. My gf wants more stuff hanging on the wall too.

Skinning it right away, would leave time to flesh warm, which I suspect is easier too. Probably not going to happen at camp, but if I get one at home.

msestak likes this.
  5. Zerk

Zerk Member

U.P.
    Second meal of this deer. I am not from Texas. So I don't know what dog taste like. But I had seconds tonight.

Got my order from Van Dykes. Be nice if they calculated shipping charges on their site.

Hair slippage isn't bad. Had a bit when making my cuts for skinning. Which does happen on live animals too. Will see how the pickle goes. Warm up, was close to freezing during day.