1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Seeking Advice From Those With Experience.

Discussion in 'Training' started by Stephen G, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Stephen G

Stephen G New Member

I’m new here and have been reading about as much as I can get my hands on. I’m 49 years old, semi retired and looking to make a life change and was considering taxidermy school and then on to a business, but is it really worth it financially? I realize customers aren’t going to come running but every single taxidermist within 100 miles of me stays way behind so there has to be room for one more. I’ve gone out and made a really good living but I’m tired of chasing money around the globe and would rather make a decent living right here at home if possible. Being a very detailed oriented and anal person by nature I think I would be good at it but I can’t make myself spend the money ,which is considerable, unless it makes financial sense. I guess my question is for the guys that are doing it for a living currently, how hard is it to make a living doing this work? Would I be better off finding something else to do as a business and just buy some videos and do my own mounts as a hobby?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Only you know your lifestyle, none of us can completely answer this question for you. For me it was worth it but it sure wasn't easy and I had to adjust my lifestyle quite a bit to make it. When you go from a pretty consistent good income to a inconsistent, spotty and many times low income it makes life hard. I use to make as much money as I wanted or needed just by the hours I put in. Now I still can but I have to find that work myself, ie sell my services. Which is almost never easy. That and there are many hours that I work that I basically don't make a dime.

3. Stephen G

Stephen G New Member

What I would like to do is work my way into earning $40-$50k per year. My land, vehicles, house and everything else I own are paid for so my monthly bills are very low. I’ve already chased down the big paychecks and doesn’t interest me anymore at all. I want to do something that is fun and rewarding.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Do you like people? People tend to suck, they often have all kinds of excuses as to why they can't come get their mount,and ultimately pay you, even though they have been calling, texting and or emailing the whole time you have had it. You must/ should remain professional, it is probably the hardest part of this business to deal with, next to government regulations, depending on where you are at.
    I don't say these things to discourage you but to help open your eyes to some of the pitfalls. I didn't decide to open a taxidermy business until late in life myself. I sometimes wonder if I had opened it when I was younger, if some things would have been easier. I love the work of recreating a memory of a moment in time for my customers, it is very rewarding. The best advice I can give is don't go thinking that you will quickly work into even profiting $20k a year very quickly. I myself wish I had taken business management classes prior to throwing out my taxidermy shingle and am seriously considering do so now at my age which is right around yours.

5. Stephen G

Stephen G New Member

Dealing with people and remaining professional is something I would have no issues with. I have started a business and sold it for a profit after it was well established on 3 separate occasions and there were plenty of customers and made my blood boil as I kept a smile on my face. I’m a big picture guy and don’t let the small day to day things get under my skin. I just want to build a reasonable business that I enjoy doing and make a decent living. I never just rush right in and spend money without doing my homework first. I really appreciate the members here taking the time out of their busy day to answer questions for me.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It sounds like you may actually have a leg up, so to speak on many of us. Prior to me opening a taxidermy business I helped build a business, not taxidermy related, up that was pissed away by the owners. It did help me at least know how not to and how to deal with cutomers. If you can afford to be taught the craft then do it even if you don't build a business of it, the craft itself can be rewarding.