1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Backpack Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by KFLAH, Nov 24, 2018.

1. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

i have had a request for whitetail on a backpack, and am not really sure where to begin on pricing. I have an idea of what the materials will cost, but not too sure of how much work is involved. Do these usually go for more or less than a standard shoulder mount? Thanks for any feedback!

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

The only one I have seen, if this is the one you’re talking about, was done by JoeyM. It looked great. To me it looks like it would be more expensive, material wise, and it seems to me it would take more labor so the cost should reflect that. You might touch base directly with joeym and ask him how much labor is involved. Be sure and post a picture when you’re done with it.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I make a rather fancy one with antique stained poplar and using Army surplus straps, ruck sacks, and canvas with leather bindings. They actually COULD be used as a packframe and I want $200 for mine. To do it right, it will take you longer than mounting a whitetail and the supplies aren't cheap. Mine are intended for clients willing to pay for something to accdent their game rooms and not DIY craft work.

joeym likes this.
  4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

They are worth every bit of $200 over the price of a traditional shoulder mount. The one I've done was a fun project, but it did eat up a little more time than I anticipated. I keep my eyes open at yard sales for old camping and hunting equipment. An old rusty lantern, a Boy Scout canteen, a compass...these can all be had for a dollar at most yard sales. The pack frame was made by lashing together 4 mimosa limbs with sisal rope.

https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/418043/

newknapper likes this.
  5. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

Thanks for all of the feedback

6. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

One I saw done was with an old wood pack frame with a Mule deer on it. He also used a vintage pair of binoculars on there too.
    Make sure it looks like a dead deer. Get some eye and ear reference pictures of a dead one. Nothing more phony than an alert dead deer.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  7. Dave York

4F7EE9EE-E017-42A5-B638-A205D8B31593.jpeg

8. Dave York