1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Backpack Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by KFLAH, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Manny81

Manny81 New Member

I’m currently working on a pack mount and it’s very labor intensive. I made the frame with stained oak and 5mm hemp rope. I also buy surplus straps and props from eBay for cheap. I’d suggest doubling the price of a regular shoulder mount. Pictures coming soon.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Not sure why anyone would use a wet tan for this , as it would take forever to dry and could mold up , if you let it dry then it’s like rolling up cardboard. Dry tan , sweat the head only to mount and you can rollthe hide up at anytime with no issues. JMO

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.

3. mj757

mj757 New Member

W
    What do you mean sweat the head? I am worried a soft tan from the tannery will mess up the face and ears when mounting the head in it. I have a sika deer to do. I usually only use 1/2 cape and wet tan them. So far all have been good. Thanks for the input

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

That makes no sense, bears rams elk moose a lot of animals are dry tanned for mounting . Most L/S hides are dry tanned, I just got a L/S BigHorn back to be mounted . Heck it wasn’t that long ago tannery’s didn’t even offer wet tanning . Guess you haven’t been doing it that long . Once you soak a head down it’s no different then a wet tan .