1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Epoxy Sculp For Eye Set

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Triple J Taxidermy, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Just curious does everyone use clay for modeling there eye sets or do some of you use epoxy sculp. Just curious.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have used both. I liked the Apoxie Sculpt because it dried fast, the hide paste stuck to it and it was done, done, done. I also didn't like it because it dried fast and then it was done, done, done. Clay gives you more time to make adjustments. Both ways work and if you have confidence in your sculpting, Apoxie Sculpt will work well.

3. I've always used clay, but started using the epoxy sculp some. I like it for the same reasons you stated.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I tried apoxie sculpt as an eye set a few times...it just wasn't my thing...plus, it's kinda costly.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Using Apoxie for eye sculpting is like working a crossword puzzle with an ink pen.

Mhattenhauer, Wildthings, swb and 7 others like this.
  6. Just dries way too fast for me

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you have ever seen crossword puzzles done in ink completed by the average person, then you will know why I went back to clay.

8. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Active Member

Ohio
    Apoxie Sculpt for me. I have been doing it that way for 25 years. Wow, that makes me sound old. LOL

9. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Then again, I do my eye work through the eye opening. So that probably makes me the odd one. LOL

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

No better analogy could ever be conceived!

11. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    After you have done the same cross word puzzle about 3000 times you should be confident enough to do it with an ink pen! I have not set an eye on anything with clay in 20 years!

12. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

For those using apoxy, are you tucking the eyelid or using the lay method after the apoxie dries?

13. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I tuck every thing.

14. George

Uh, Ron, did you watch Quigley Down Under a few times. Towards the end, he uses a line I've always liked.
    "Never said I couldn't use one. Said I never much cared for it."

jessewild likes this.
  15. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Mike, I also use the tuck method.

16. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

If the epoxy dries to fast why couldn't you just tweak the mixture just a bit to say 75/25 instead of 50/50.
    That's what I do on my duck eyes when setting them into artificial skull except it's more like 90/10.

17. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

For your 75/ 25 does it matter 75%A or B? how much longer does it take to dry?

18. George

NO, NO, NO. You're now dealing with EPOXY. You may get away with that on fiberglass resin or two part poly but if you try that with epoxy, IT WILL NEVER CURE. That's why Part A and Part B are in equal sized containers and are meant to be always mixed 50/50.

jessewild likes this.