1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Troubles

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by E. Byrd, Nov 25, 2018.

1. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

I know I am most likely overthinking this but its taking me extremely too long to turn and flesh a whitetail. I am still using krowtann because it allows me to just rough flesh before going to pickle. if I took the time to completely remove all the red meat to salt then I don't think I would have any hair left on the sucker. any of you guys struggle this much starting out and if so , how long was it before you noticed a positive change.

2. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

From one Byrd to another Byrd, keep at it...the more you do the faster you'll get. I must have frozen and thawed my first deer about 3 to 4 times before I finally got it fleshed. Can't believe it survived but it did.
    It would take me about 4 1/2 hours to have one completely fleshed, everything turned and ready to be mounted. It now takes me around 1 hour and 45 minutes. It was a gradual change...certainly didn't happen over night.

Jason Cox likes this.

3. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

that helps. I am gonna get it eventually. I don't have any quit in me but it sure is frustrating lol

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

It just takes repetition. I now do them in less than 60 seconds...I hand them to my son and say "Flesh these"! It took over 40 years to get to this point! Between us, we flesh around 200 annually. It still takes around an hour to clean up the facial area. I use a pressure washer to clean everything from the ears back, and some areas of the face and under the chin. I use #22 scalpel blades for all hand work, then for to the rotary knife for shaving.

woakley144, Jason Cox and Chippers like this.
  5. Like Joey said the pressure washer from the ears back will make your life a whole lot easier. Gets all the blood out of the skin and all the red meat gone.

woakley144 and Jason Cox like this.
  6. I can turn, and flesh on machine in 35 min. Ready to mount .
    I sure remember my first few , all day long and then didn’t know if it was good enough.
    I’ve had other taxidermist that thought. I was full of chit about my time, until they came and watched.
    Funny how this jogs memory, remember the second guy that came to watch. I didn’t know he was actually timing me. He brought his own skins , Did his first one then the second skin. Then he says the first skin was 33 min the second was 28 . I was a LOT younger then.

Your time will only get shorter with practice, or you will give up! Lol

George likes this.
  7. jruff002

jruff002 New Member

when i started (and i'm just a hobbyist and do handful on the side every year) it took me about 4 hours to flesh the face, now prob around an hour. The power washer is your best friend and 1 thing i might add that i didn't see anyone mention on the power washer is the turbo nozzle. i started using normal, thinking it was 40 degree nozzle and it'd take about 45 mins to power wash neck down, turbo nozzle takes maybe 10 mins, which is mostly me just rotating it on my make shift power washing beam, hope that helps.

8. Definately power nozzle

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I first started, everything was fleshed with a single edge razor blade and it would take me 4 to 6 hrs. Then I got a scalpel, fleshing draw knife and made a fleshing beam. Much better. Now I use the round knife to flesh and thin. MUCH BETTER!

I never lost a cape due to taking too long to flesh. It can happen, however, it never did with me.

10. Tony Gonzalez

Tony Gonzalez New Member

Nice to read that I am not the only one. On the first deer I fleshed and turned my mentor showed me on one side of the face, eyes, ears, lips and had me take my turn respectively as the process went on. I am glad he had patience, we were at about a 1:10 ratio of time

11. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    Heck you should see how long it takes me. I flesh every single critter by hand with straight razors! Takes forever, with many hand cramps.

12. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Favorite tool is an old teaspoon with a sharpened edge. Have yet to try the pressure washer though.

13. HondaXR250

HondaXR250 Active Member

Ohio
    I've been meaning to try a spoon. Do you sharpen the bottom edge? I've heard pressure washing is good too

14. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

Keep your knife sharp. Have two or three sharp knives will help.
    Stay at it and you will improve your time.

15. Mini flesher works great, I can completely and throughly flesh and turn lips, eyes, ears and nose on a whitetail in a little over and hour. After that it can be dry preserved and mounted or tanned then shaved and mounted. There is a little bit of a learning curve with the mini flesher but there is a good video on YouTube by David Marqua on how to use it properly.

16. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If it's a new spoon you can as they have a thicker edge than the old ones. The ones I have are real old ones (1960's or older) They already have a thin edge all the way around. You don't want it real sharp as you will cut the hide.

17. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I need to do a refresher on splitting lips, eyes and nose. Been just sending them out for so long, I watch videos but still chop up the faces. lucky it's practice parts from euro mounts.
    Told my wife willing to spend time working for someone the willing to retrain. barturd labor, for training.

18. Eager beaver

Eager beaver New Member

You got a pic of your beam and how do you do it so there’s no blood and meat and fat flying all over. I’d like to make as little mess as possible

19. Just gt everything split or turned and in the Krowtann, work the skin well. Then look the next day and see if the meat has turned gray brown, If it has take a little off repeat repeat the hide does not need to be perfectly fleshed for a pickle.
    The perfect shaving is done after the pickle.