1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another Auto Tanning Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by drwalleye, Nov 26, 2018.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I have been using my auto Tanner for about 10 years now and and I didn't want to hijack the post a few lines down. it works great. I started out with lutan f and i was messing with all the pickles and neutralizers Etc. this tanner you put in one gallon of water one pound of crystals and Let It Go . Air pressure or no air pressure my question is that it seems like a lot of people are against this machine and want to stick with the old way which takes longer and Messier and I don't know if it's any better .so can anybody tell me that using the auto Tanner produces a inferior tan?. I'm not trying to pick a fight about this I would just like to know a honest answer from those who have done this both ways for a long time. Yes it's faster nothing wrong with that and cheaper I would pay over 70 bucks per cape to send it to a Tannery including shipping and and this only cost a few bucks so it pays for itself pretty quick so again , I am still fairly new to taxidermy is there anybody who can give me an honest scientific reason why this machine is not a good choice over the brush ons or krowtans of the world thank you for your input

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok your kind of all over the place with the question!
    Is there anything wrong with it?
    Yes the price and misleading of pressure!
    Pressure does nothing to speed up the process. So paying for a container that handles high pressure was a waste of money.
    Pro is yes it tans faster cause of the constant turning, tumbling. So if you had a tub that can seal up and tumble guess what same tan. No tannery uses pressure to tan hides just paddles or tumbling to speed it up.
    Static tanning has always been the best choice to tan capes but it can be hard for folks to get rid of chemicals so we have rub on tans . Those that are chemically stable are the best but those tans that need vigorous mixing I would stay away from for if you don’t mix it up , we’ll issues.
    Krowtan works two fold , one as a pickle starting off and then by raising the pH the tanning chemicals will take hold on the skin.
    A lot of times this process can be done with just alums as a pickle and the raise the pH to set the tan.
    Also personally anybody needing to tan a hide that fast should or could just save money and instead of tanning in 4-5 hours do it 16 overnight with same results JMO. I’ve been static tanning for over 18 years doing over 100 skins a year and never found the use for one. A friend who would do 20 skins a year didn’t listen bought one and agrees it was a waste cause gasket went, rust, leaked etc.
    plus this I would rather spend the money on a quality wheel instead as he wasted money on that to. He thought he was saving and in the long run wasted but again it’s your choice to your needs.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

An electric cement mixer for a couple of hundred dollars from Harbor freight will get you the fast tanning as it has constant agitation and tips to dump and is a fraction of the cost. My plastic stock tank cost $30 bucks and tans over night.

4. Drywalleye,,
    What were you playing on tanning with the autotanner? One nice thing about it is it is self contain.

5. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Sorry it took so long to respond. Thanks for the replies. It works really well for me but it's really the only way I have done it since I started my business. I was told how well it worked and I had $ set aside so I got one. But have always been curious about the quality of the tan because of some comments I hear. But I think other than the pressure not doing anything I like it. I have to get a new gasket once a year but that's only $10. I have 1 more question, if the word is out on pressure not doing anything why do they still sell for$1500 to $2500? I would think they would now be obsolete and just get a plastic drum made for it to sell specifically for tanning

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

The maker Steve Rotamal ( spelling last name) has a new one out that he sells.
    If you look in breakthrough magazine or call Larry, he can help with that info.
    Now as for them still selling it ( really look at all the stupid stuff still being sold today)
    As Ringling says a sucker is borne every minute!!
    It’s a feel good thing.