1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Scissors For Fleshing

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by swb, Nov 27, 2018.

1. swb

swb Member

Curious what scissors everyone likes or uses when working on removing large fat and tissue from ducks. I know there are all kinds but wondering what the go to brands or models that are a must in your shop?
    Shane

magicmick likes this.
  2. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Active Member

NW Ohio
    I have a small pair of pink handled frisscors and then a small set of curves which I prefer for detail work. Think the curved are manicure. Both are roughly 2" long blades

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

barbers scissors with the extra tang on one side helps with fatigue ..... or arthritus

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I don't do ducks, but, I use my curved scissors on all my upland birds including turkeys.

bucksnort10 likes this.
  5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If you do any amount of waterfowl at all, I'd suggest investing in a bird wheel, or building your own. The one from McKenzie comes with a soft brush for waterfowl. A coarse brush is available for turkeys. I've done hundreds on mine in the last 35 years, my cost per bird for the wheel is in the pennies by now, I'm sure!

magicmick likes this.
  6. swb

swb Member

Yep got a wheel, just trying to find decent comfortable scissors that work good for the bigger and hard to get to areas. Just curious if there's a certain brand or kind that most prefer.

joeym likes this.
  7. WASCO sells a scissors that are 7 inchs long with black handles, curved and made in Germany. I like them and have seen them used in a few different dvds. I think Rineharts were the first to offer them.

8. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

olfa scs-2 The Best I never use any others :)

9. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Allheart AH 1460 4-1/2" Curved Iris scissors

Smaller tips with curve.

upload_2018-12-9_10-24-19.png

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  10. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

metz curved 2.jpg metz curved.jpg
    Curved Metzenbaum scissors are the best in my opinion. Useful for fine dissection and cutting off precise amounts of tissue or fat.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    bucksnort10 likes this.
  11. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

The ones from Alheart are at a great price. : )

12. swb

swb Member

Since posting this I ordered the Olfa scs-2 and a pair of Joyce Chen scissors. The Olfa arrived and wow are they nice!! I will certainly look into all of the other ones as well. Can never have enough.

13. hambone

hambone Member

Does anyone have a good method for sharpening these types of scissors?

bucksnort10 likes this.
  14. ahagenston

ahagenston New Member