1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Think You Have Problems

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BearBonz, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Thiught I’d share this I have been working on this tiny Caribou for a guy for a couple of months getting it degreased etc. Took it out of the
    Degreaser today. Placed it near the heat to dry and see what was left. 20 minutes later I went back and blood pooled in the antler?? I’m assuming a pocket of blood in the antler. It was half velvet when his kid shot it! LOL. Almost like starting over.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

That sucks. Yes, blood in the antlers. Give it a soak in cold water first and then back into your degreaser for a while to leach out the blood. Surprised that that doesn't stink too. Try peroxide to finish and if the blood has now stained it, try Iron Out. When you go to dry it again, hang it with the antlers down so any blood drains the other way. Let this one dry for at least a week or more to keep it from happening again. It will take a while for the inside of the antler to dry too.

3. LOL yesss it does stink!! Oh I put it’s straight into Coldwater, went back and checked it a little bit later and I was acting like it was bleeding it was seeping out of the skull. Thanks! yes I will stick it back in degreaser for a while. It’s irritating when this was getting close to being done after six weeks. LOL

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Antlers in velvet are not cured fully and have a honeycombed interior full of blood and fluids. They can be a pain in the ass to deal with. Sometimes it's easier to cut them off and reattach later. Try not to get the antlers wet. They will soak up water like a sponge and it will liquefy the nasty dried blood inside..

5. I’ve done a number of them like this and another at the same time. My first. Talk about a shocker. LOL. And yes I’ll hang them the other way this time. Never want that again.