1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Suppliers' Leg Rod Placement... There's No Remedy

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Joe Kish, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    I recently had to alter a bobcat form - all four legs. In order to rotate the legs at the joints I needed to locate the rods. As I knew would be the case, I had to fish around to find them so I could remove them, bend them accurately before reinstalling them where they should have been in the first place. Below are two photos:
    1. This is where the rod was cast in one front leg.
    2. The black line is where the rod should have been aligned before the foam went into the mold.

Most of us have or will experience this problem and have to cope with it... however.
    It's cause is poor training of employees, minimum wage employees, no inexpensive way to maintain supervisory inspections before the foam goes into the mold, .... and no practical way to detect an arbitrary misplacement before the customer (you) receives it. (X-ray?)

It's a problem common to all supply companies who sell lifesize forms. This is not something done deliberately, or necessarily allowed to happen. But neither are suppliers likely to do anything about it unless or until they receive enough complaints, the kind which might provide an inducement to provide some additional training for production workers and some lead men on the line who understand what a problem this can be to those of us who have to do a lot of extra work to use an otherwise decent form.

While this post may initially cause a conscientious supplier to get a tiny bit of heartburn which likely won't last long, a smart businessman will at least get a small flashback of - the customer is always right (even if he's not.) Nearly all suppliers will readily make an adjustment to an order you receive with some kind of damage or internal flaw, but the old adage, "Let the buyer beware" still holds true.

Attached Files:

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I understand your frustration but, why not order them without rods, I haven't had a company deny me that, as of yet. Then there isn't any fishing involved, just router out a groove where you want it and install your own.

3. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

I was doing a LS Mt.Goat. Was almost finished and the front leg broke off between the knee and the hip. I had to cut the hide with all the wet glue. What a mess. Turned out the leg rod was to short. I had to set in some extra steel rod to stabilize the leg. Ended up with glue all over the place and it cost me about 3 extra hours to correct and clean the mess, I took pictures on my cell phone and called the supplier. Sent them the pictures. After a lengthy conversation the gave me a $150 dollar credit. Was not enough for all the hassle and mess. Mount was stabilized and finished and looked nice. What a pain in the .....