1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Diy Tumbler Dryer

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by folmar22, Nov 29, 2018.

1. folmar22

folmar22 New Member

who here has built there own tumbler/dryer and do you have pictures and materials list

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I use a concrete mixer from Harbor freight. Just don't put the baffles in it. Works great. $180

stuffit44 and Tom Mayer like this.

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I quit tumbling mine years ago. I dry by hand from the start

rigbobby, Jim McNamara, joeym and 2 others like this.
  4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

B

Wildthings likes this.
  5. I just got a gas dryer plugged off the holes and presto. Tumbler....

6. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

I'm thinking about that cement mixer , I have a really nice custom built 55 gal tumbler but it's a 5 hr drive to get it .... With gas prices in CA 4.00 a gal and the thought of 5 hrs on the road with all the idiots in this state .... 180.00 sounds like a whole lot less stress ....

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  7. Honeycreek

Honeycreek New Member

cement mixer...........Why didnt I think of that???? The RPMs are lil fast, but way better than a dryer...

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

A good hair dryer is cheaper than any tumbler, and the end results are way better. I have a tumbler I built 40 years ago, and I rarely ever use it anymore.

9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I built my own. About $25.00 total cost. Some 2 x 4's, scrap pullies (speed reduction), worn out lawn mower belts and a barrel I purchased at the flea market for $5.00. And of course the control panel and motor from a worn out gas Maytag dryer. It runs about 8 rpm. Baffles installed inside made of wood.
    S3010675.JPG

S3010676.JPG S3010678.JPG

rigbobby, rogerswildlife and joeym like this.
  10. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Folks what’s been said and posted here really isn’t a tumbler for your skins. It’ll never reach the softness that is built 6-8’ .
    All these do is aid in drying the hair as. I’ve been using my ole clothes dryer for years with towels and no heat.
    Cement mixer is a good way of quick pickling or tanning your hides faster if that’s your game.
    If all that was said is true I ask this: Why don’t tanneries use those products?
    Answer: They don’t work!
    If your just drying a cape and nothing else, a vacuum set on backwards works great, hair dryer or your compressor works well too

rogerswildlife and joeym like this.
  11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Frank, I don't think that tumbling for softness in bird skins is a priority and I have never come across a bird with hair. Also, few here pickle and tan their birds.

rigbobby likes this.
  12. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

HELLO FRANK!!! Earth to Frank!! Birds are what we are discussing in this bird category :) :)

13. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Just throw a concrete block in their Frank to soften those hides.

Fallenscale likes this.
  14. Holy chit that dangerous