1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Оld Skull Whitening. Help Please!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Tallaida Roselvain, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Tallaida Roselvain

Tallaida Roselvain New Member

Hello everyone! I have a problem with whitening of fox skull. I have few fox skulls, find it at woods. And i want to know..possible to make it super white and clean?
    [​IMG]
    I try to bleach skulls it in hydrogen peroxide. But skulls always not fully white. They with yellow spots and so on..Like this:
    [​IMG]

I want result like this:
    [​IMG]

Before whitening i wash skulls in "fairy" dish cleaner. (it's help to clean from fat).
    Maybe i need to Boil skull with degreaser for dishes?
    Someone say me left skulls in petrol..
    1) Doesn't gasoline dissolve bone?
    2)Will the skull stink after gasoline?
    3)Need to use pure gasoline, or can it be diluted with water?

(In my country, gasoline is not cheap, soaking skulls in gasoline is expensive. Especially if I do not know that it will help me!)

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would soak the skull in the dish soap and warm water for several weeks. Changing out the water and soap once or twice a week.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If you want to try, warm water in a pan on the stove and add Fairy. Make sure you add enough. I do not know how strong/good it is. Warm the pan on the stove but do not boil. Keep hot only. Keep hot for as long as you can. Days would be better but many hours might be all you can do. You will probably see the water get dirty or discolored. After a soak for as long as you can, rinse good in clean hot water and try peroxide again.

The trouble is that the skulls were on the forest floor for long enough to rot and be cleaned by insects. Grease in the skull has soaked into the bone and will be very hard to remove. Yellow spots are what you will have. To get a skull very white, you have to start with fresh ones and clean properly. You will be able to remove a lot of the yellow with the hot water but probably not all of it. The longer you can soak it in hot water the better the Fairy will work.

Do not use gasoline. It will forever smell of petrol.

Este_09 and Tallaida Roselvain like this.
  4. Tallaida Roselvain

Thank's. I try to do it. Now is hunting season i find this skulls on snow. I don't know how trully old they are

5. I just finished one that was two years old that was on the ground. After i cleaned it , it still was a brown color. So i degeased it again in dawn soap at 140 degrees for a week. Let dry and then soak in 20 % prexoide for 24 hrs. Let dry again for a couple of days. Check to see if it the way you want it mine still had brownish tint. So now you take creamy proixide 20 % and mix it with proxide powder and make it a paste. Then cover the whole head with the paste but dont get any on the antlers. Cover head that you coated in plastic wrap and set near a heat source at a safe distance. All you need is the warm air on it and let it sit for a day. Next day rinse everthing off and let dry and it should be white , mine did and the owner was very happy.

6. Tallaida Roselvain

[QUOTE = "gary04, post: 2749956, member: 32888"] Я только что закончил ту, которой было два года, которая была на земле. После того, как я убрал это, это было все еще коричневым цветом. Так что я снова разжижил его в рассветном мыле при температуре 140 градусов в течение недели. Дайте высохнуть, а затем впитайте в 20% prexoide в течение 24 часов. Дайте высохнуть снова на пару дней. Проверьте, не было ли у вас того, что вы хотите, у меня все еще был коричневатый оттенок. Итак, теперь вы берете 20% кремового проиксида, смешиваете его с порошком окиси и превращаете в пасту. Тогда покройте всю голову пастой, но не получите никаких на рогах. Накройте головку, которую вы покрыли полиэтиленовой пленкой, и установите рядом с источником тепла на безопасном расстоянии. Все, что вам нужно, это теплый воздух и дать ему посидеть целый день. На следующий день все смыть и дать высохнуть, и он должен быть белым, мой сделал, и владелец был очень счастлив. [/ QUOTE]
    Thanks, i try it

7. Tallaida Roselvain

i have nice result with soap and peroxyde upload_2018-12-10_12-8-9.png