1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Price Reduced! Large Prime Raccoon Case-skinned 35$ Shipped.

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Jason Cox, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Jason Cox

Jason Cox Member

20181204_084629.jpg 20181204_084457.jpg 20181204_084505.jpg Shipped frozen on first Monaday after payment. I would list this for 50$ shipped but there are two tiny holes from the trap on one wrist...I reduced the price to cover the extra sewing...etc... I would consider a reasonable offer.

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

looks to be case skinned, thats not " skinned for taxidermy" dorsal cut next time or better yet,dont skin at all (sorry mods but these new guys need to be educated that trappers are not fur buyers)

Monte likes this.

3. Jason Cox

Jason Cox Member

The shipping is too much and they go bad if I ship a large animal like this with the guts in...literally it's 75 bucks to ship this animal whole. I case skinned it because that is what every single taxidermist on the beginners forum said to do...Case skin it...leave the vent on...leave the tail in...leave the skull in...leave the paws in...Literally every single taxidermist on the site said...And, I've already sold multiple animals to happy customers. So, I'm not really sure who the authority is on the subject...Anyways, animal prep is so subjective that there is no possible way that I can make everyone happy...However, I will change the title to "case-skinned" if that makes everyone feel better. Thank you for pointing out that I had the terminology wrong! I'm still learning...
    Every single green hide I sell will be case-skinned like I mentioned above exept animals under 10 pounds. I have to have a system...Some nights I skin 30 animals until 2 in the morning.

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Jason, just a thought. You could put the item up for sale and say, "Once the item is paid for I will skin to your suit you preferred method." Personally I dislike case skinned and prefer a dorsal on mammals. If the buyer is willing to pay extra for the item to be shipped whole (like me) that is on their dime. My opinion, not ripping.

Vic

Jason Cox and socalmountainman like this.
  5. byrdman

what he said

Jason Cox likes this.
  6. Jason Cox

Jason Cox Member

Thank you for the advice. I'm sure you are right about everything. I just dont have time for that...I come in at midnight and start skinning...my freezers are full of fur. There is no room for frozen whole animals... Every animal I skin needs to be skinned in 15 minutes or less. I'm just not going to skin anything with a ventral cut. It takes too much time...I can"t hang and pull..It is all knife work. I appreciate the advice but if I can't sell them case-skinned they are going in the bushes with the rest of the bi-catch that I can't market. It's just not practical for me and my situation right now...Id have to buy 3 more max size chest freezers to market them custom skinned or shipped whole...And, I just can't do that right now. If that means I lose a sale or 2...so be it...Im honest, and I stand my sales. I've already replaced 2 hides free of charge because the post office messed up and the hides rotted in shipment. Dont get me wrong, I want happy customers and I appreciate all of your helpful and insiteful comments...But, I worked over 100 hours last week...lol...let that sink in. I have to have a system...I cant skin to order. I come in...I skin...take a few pictures of the animals I can...bag them...toss them in the freezer and go to bed. I'd love to custom handle and ship everything, but I can't afford the time or the freezer space...Everything tha goes in my freezer is skinned if it weighs more than 10 pounds. And, I'm struggling with the idea that somebody would dump a hundred bucks on a raccoon shipped to their location whole. Is that a reality? Seems kind of steep to me.

7. byrdman

you best keep selling to the fur buyer then and just forget selling to taxidermists

8. Taxidermywithnina

Taxidermywithnina New Member

Is this tanned? Or will it ship frozen?

9. Jason Cox

Jason Cox Member

I've sold everything that I have posted...so atleast some taxidermist must like case-skinned critters...lol. I did decide to offer my higher end critters like bobcats custom skinned...But there is no way that I would ever ventral cut a 600-dollar cat until the payment clears the bank..lol..A ventral cut cat is'nt worth 50 cents in the fur market and that is the backup plan...If I can't sell ot to a taxidermist, I will put it up for the fur market.

10. byrdman

not many taxidermists would want a ventral cut anyway

Jason Cox likes this.
  11. Jason Cox

Jason Cox Member

Oh...good to know. It seems to be all across the board.

12. Feline

Feline New Member

Not sure why people are so passionate about this, I see case skinned animals listed and sold here all the time. Personally, I prefer case skinned. Best of luck selling your raccoon!

Carb nut likes this.
  13. byrdman

I think when you know you have to sew it back up after wrestling it onto a form youd prefer to skin it yourself species pose form etc all make a difference

14. Carb nut

Carb nut Member

Technically he can sell it and do it however way he wants to, if you don’t like it just move on.