1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Time Tanning A Snake Hide... Need Some Advice Please

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by davidt, Dec 5, 2018.

1. davidt

davidt New Member

hello!

i usually stick to skulls and skeletons, but i was recently donated a large Red Tail Boa, and decided to try my hand at tanning a hide. I skinned it out all nice and whatnot, but then called it a day.

My issue is as follows; after leaving it be a couple days after skinning, it dried out (obviously), but more than I expected. I kinda shrank a bit and crinkled up. and I still have the remaining fat and flesh to scrape off the actual hide...

I guess my question is, what can I do to "rejuvinate" the hide, and possibly bring it back to its previous freshly skinned state? I considered giving it a good soak in water, but thought I should ask the opinion of more experienced people first.

In hindsight, I should have been prepared to do the entire process from start to finish in one go, but as I said, this is new territory for me.

Thankyou in advance.

-Dave

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I'd soak it in a solution of 3 ozs salt, 1 gallon of warm water, plus a squirt of Dawn for a short while. It should rehydrate rapidly.

3. davidt

davidt New Member

thnks JoeyM

worked perfectly!