1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wet Tanned Doe Cape Left Out ....forgot To Put In Freezer

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by John L, Dec 5, 2018.

1. John L

John L Active Member

Recently switched to a night shift job and my heads still a little fuzzy. I fleshed, salted, and Pickled a small doe cape then shaved neutralized and tanned with liquatan over night. Next day rinsed off excess and bagged but got busy and forgot about it, I left it out on the table Sunday-Wednesday. shop temps stay around 50 F if I am not in shop working.

I feel like it's fine but would like to hear from anyone who may have more experience in this area.

Now it's in the freezer.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You can leave it out for six years as long as it died, rehydrate it and mount it just fine. I used to Liqua-tan them and let them dry rock hard for long periods of time before I started just wet tanning them. It should be fine. The only concern is that it was in a bag and probably didn't dry any. Even then, if the tanning was good, it should be fine. Anything is possible, so, you could have trouble with it, but, I really don't think you will. Hopefully it goes good for you.

John L and joeym like this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

As of now your fine “ as long as it’s not really wet”
    Being in a bag and if it’s real wet you can get epidermal slippage
    Or cause it’s damp and no air flow you can end up with black mold.
    With that said your fine this is over time when capes aren’t dried properly as in a dry tan.
    I’m giving you extremes here

John L likes this.