1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Attempt

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Williamson, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:15 AM.

1. Williamson

Williamson New Member

i mounted this full sneak whitetail last year and im about to start my second one. I know i didnt do to well on the eyes. But do yall see anymore mistakes that i need to correct on the next one? Also any advice for the eye work will be appreciated thank you 855F9BBA-3179-4132-A65A-0A71FB9807E7.jpeg 614AE157-1A5E-4B9A-9818-A9904718A00A.jpeg

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    just about every beginner has similar issues, it all starts with antler set and snowballs from there. Take good measurements and even snap pics of that prior to skinning. that allows you to replace them where they belong. Yours aren't where they belong or at correct angle. It helps to create the eye issues and also the ear issues you have as well as the lip line not being tucked enough. Study the hell out of reference pics and then take a break from that and then glance back through them just before you mount and pick out the exact picture you are attempting to replicate such as eye, nose, ears, lip lines, and do the best you can to make your mount match them.

Williamson likes this.

3. Williamson

Williamson New Member

Ok thank you for the advice i really appreciate it the hide that i have now i have got the majority of the meat off and also lips,nose, & 1 ear turned i ran out of time so i went ahead and put salt on it and let it set over night would i be able to go ahead and put it in the freezer until my next days off work?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I wouldn't put a salted cape in the freezer, but others have said that they have done it.

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

ears twisted inwards skijump nose

Williamson likes this.
  6. Williamson

Williamson New Member

What would be best? I dont want to take a chance on ruining the hide should I rinse it of let drip dry over night and then freeze

7. Williamson

Williamson New Member

I apologize for all the questions and plan on taking on taxidermy classes just wanted to get a little hands on before doing so that way i wont be completely lost

8. Williamson

Williamson New Member

Thank you i see what your talking about i have them twisted to far forward

9. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Ears need to face down if they are in a back position. The way they are, water would go in his eardrums if it rained. Ears will rotate down as they go back and rotate out as they pull forward. Before you skin out your next deer head look at the muscles at the ear base. They are all in the front to PULL the ear forward. There is very little muscle behind the ear as they naturally are designed to lay back. Your carcass is your best reference!

Jeff70 and Williamson like this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson New Member

Ok thank you i took alot of pictures this time before skinning and ill also order some reference pictures

socalmountainman likes this.
  11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

actually live deer are your best reference... carcasses can be decieving dried out rigored slack muscles so best is to go to a deer park with camera and a bag of corn

Williamson likes this.
  12. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

what i meant was looking at the muscle structure as he is skinning it, GEEZ byrdman...

13. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Buy a reference CD. There is a guy on here that has great reference CD. I believe his website is http://www.alaskanorthtaxidermy.com/ . I think he goes by seaduck on here. Well worth the money.

Williamson likes this.
  14. Williamson

Williamson New Member

Unfortunately we dont have places like that here in tennessee only way i can get photos of live deer around here will be my trailcams but they will be at a distance

15. Williamson

Williamson New Member

Than
    thank you for the information i will check them out

16. Antlers are set back too far which makes for the big eye effect. For the lip line you need to tuck in further and if need be pin till dry and follow tear duct on manakin. Your tear duct isn't tucked properly hair should slightly touch if tucked properly. Imo.

Williamson likes this.
  17. Williamson

Williamson New Member

Thanks for the info. My second try will turn out better with all the great advice that yall provided much appreciated

18. Michael J Spaude

Michael J Spaude New Member

Antigo
    I'm just doing my first attempt in 40 years. The buck has a similar rack. This thread was very helpful. Thanks.

Williamson likes this.
  19. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

No apology needed for asking questions on this forum. This is what it's all about, helping one another learn from our past mistakes. It takes reference, experience, and a ton of patience to get where you want to be. Hang in there, and keep asking questions!

pir^2h, Williamson and 3bears like this.
  20. Williamson

Williamson New Member

Mi
    much appropriated