1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Advice With Alum And Salt Tanning

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Saltydonkey, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:55 PM.

Tags:
  1. Saltydonkey

Saltydonkey New Member

ok im new to the taxidermy and tanning stuff but i am a avid hunter and want to get the most out of my game animals, so i have 5 squirrels hides that i have fleshed and soaked for 72 hours in i cup of alum and 1 cup of salt in 2 gallons of water, i removed them and let they dry and started to stretch the hides but i think i may have let them dry to long with out stitching because they have gotten pretty hard. so i was wondering if so neatsfoot oil will make them so and supple thanks.

2. wayne St Vincent

wayne St Vincent New Member

I am new to this as well but I have read that you can soak them in Luke warm water mixed with 4oz of salt per gallon for 1 hour, let drip dry then place in a plastic bag at room temp to sweat over night. Ready to be mounted or frozen the next day. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

3. Saltydonkey

Saltydonkey New Member

I will have to try but I thought that alum tanning makes the hide water proof

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If you are wanting soft skins, you will need to "break" the leather after you have tanned, regardless of what tan you use. Commercial tanneries place several skins in a large tumbler half full of sawdust, pour in 5 gallons of tanning oil, flip the switch, and let her roll for several days. In your case, place an old axe head in a vise, and run to skin back and forth across it til its soft to your satisfaction. After you've done this a while, you'll learn that the $8-10 bucks a tannery charges for tanning a squirrel is a bargain!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:19 PM
    Saltydonkey likes this.
  5. Saltydonkey

Saltydonkey New Member

Thank you your advice and yeah your probably right but I really like to learn and do everything myself I'm very hard headed

6. Saltydonkey

Saltydonkey New Member

Will this trick work with fur still on

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yes

Saltydonkey likes this.
  8. Saltydonkey

Saltydonkey New Member

Ok thank you

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I tanned with alum, I used tanning oil and work it back and forth over a clean shovel head with the handle held in a vice. I was never able to get a really soft skin, however, I was able to get somewhat soft and pliable enough to use as a wall hanger or rug. There are much better tans now days, but, alum still works. I used sulphenated ( spelling incorrect) Neets Foot Oil at first and then went on to use a oil used after tanning.

Saltydonkey likes this.
  10. Saltydonkey

Saltydonkey New Member

Ok well thank you for your advice I will definitely try that the only reason I'm using the alum is because I heard it was very easy to use and it's cheap