1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Resoaking A Tanned Hyde

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by wayne St Vincent, Dec 6, 2018.

1. wayne St Vincent

wayne St Vincent New Member

I've attempted my first tanning of two deer hydes this year. I use the "hunter & trappers tanning formula" (comes in the orange bottle).

The first one I did, I followed the directions on the bottle and have some spots on the hyde that are dark. Also during the drying I placed the hyde onto a board and it took the shape of the end of the board once it was dry... Would I be able to resoak the hyde in warm salty water?

The second hyde I tanned, I kept it in water a little too long and lost half the fur. Instead of folding the hyde onto itself and then drying it, I kept it on the strecher rig I made and I am really pleased how it came out. Almost flawless. Pictures below

I plan on smoking the two hydes too, any ideas on a good method for that?

Attached Files:

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes THROW THAT BOTTLE AWAY!!
    This would be my first step.
    Next I would read here on tanning properly or go to many of our taxidermy suppliers and read their info on tanning.
    Now mind you most tans aren’t waterproof or repellent unless smoked or chrome tanned . Neither of which we do cause it has nothing to do with taxidermy.
    Unfortunately we or the majority of us don’t smoke hides so that help is going to be vague.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

There are lots of tanning websites that go into brain tanning and smoking. There are lots of books on it also.
    Smoking is easy. Build a fire and add green wood and punky wood and make it smoke. Have a tall tipi above. Wrap the skin around the "tipi" to form a cone and let the smoke fill the cone. The fire should not be a hot one, just a smoky one.

The main purpose for smoking is to make the skin soft and pliable after the skin gets wet in the rain and then dries. Secondary reason is for coloration.

If you don't plan on wearing your skins in the rain or using them for throw rugs that might get wet, there is really no reason to smoke them.