1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreasing Necessary?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Klutey, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:00 PM.

1. Klutey

Klutey New Member

I'm new to the beetles and euro mounts arena... is degreasing a must? What happens if I whiten and don't degrease?

Only reason I'm asking is I kind if like the look of the skull right out of the bugs. Will it eventually stink or something without degreasing?

Thanks!!!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Grease will eventually seep out of some skulls and stain shelves or whatever you have it sitting on and yes they stink.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Beetle cleaned skulls need to at least be soaked in warm soapy water for several hours. There are beetle eggs, frass, live beetles, dung, and residual oil on and in the skull. Whether you whiten or not is your personal preference. My skulls go into a freezer for several days first to kill any remaining live beetles, then they are degreased.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I will throw up a picture of a cleaned and not degreased skull as compared to one that is. It is your choice but a skull with grease in it gets nastier looking the longer it sits, attracts bugs, mold and will develop an odor in many cases.

2 bears that were more than likely not degreased and whitened. You can see the grease badly soaking through the lower skull and it is also no longer nicely colored in the areas that it was originally. The upper skull also has grease in it and you can see spots of black mold growing on the back half of it. You can degrease a skull without whitening and get a nice bone color. I don't have too many photos of skulls that are not degreased as I just don't leave them that way.
    [​IMG]

A Kodiak bear that has been (mostly) degreased and whitened. You can see the difference in color in an area at the back of the lower jaw where there is still deep grease. If not degreased, a large part of the skull would now be that color. Bears are notoriously a pain in the ass to get completely grease free.
    [​IMG]

Whale skull that has grease in it still after many years. Just repeated another cleaning and whitening. You can see the difference between grease soaked areas and clean bone. This skull gets repeatedly covered in mold and has to be rewashed every few years.
    [​IMG]

A javalina that is free of grease, whitened and sealed.
    [​IMG]

5. Klutey

Klutey New Member

Wow! That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Not only the answer, but why too. Sorry if it was a dumb question. Thank you very much!

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

No such thing as a dumb question.

joeym likes this.