1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Happy 79th Birthday Richard Christoforo!!!! A Letter To A Young Man...

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Rick Krane, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Happy 79th Birthday Richard Christoforo!!!!

For the Man who brought me to taxidermy!!! At the age of 15 I meet Richard Christoforo who shared with me a few hours of his time which would lead set me on to my career path in Taxidermy! As an instructor of taxidermy for over 25 year helping others reach their goals, and who has been in this world of the “The Historical preservation of fauna” for over 35 years professionally I wish you Richard Christoforo a very Happy Birthday! You befriended a young man who made the most with the opportunity you gave him! Thank you!

I want to share with you a letter which it is truly if not the but one of my most valued prized possessions ever!

Richard took the time to write me a 7 page letter a very long time ago and I have taken the heart of it to share as a gift to Richard! I read this at the 2105 NTA show in TN When Richard received the NTA Pioneer award. BTW he is one of the very few of the Founders of the NTA still with us!

Thank you Richard for writing this letter! IMG_1443.jpg

A letter by Richard Christoforo.

August 6th
    Dear Rick,

I’m glad to have met you and your grandfather. I enjoyed our visit and don’t want you to give up on your dream of one day becoming a taxidermist but there is more to it than what you think. I want you to listen to your grandfather, stay in school and graduate. Today you need to go to college if you’re going to make anything of your life including being a taxidermist. Remember I told you that nobody gets rich being a taxidermist so you still may want to re-think your dream.

Your story of the Sunapee trout was interesting as was your answer to my question of why do you want to be a taxidermist, to historically preserve fauna is the only reason I’m going to help you by telling you how it really is and what you need to do if this is what you want 10 years from now.

Your answer your is not what I expected to hear from a kid your age so if you want to work in a museum then you’ll have to follow what I tell you to do. If you do what I tell you then and only then will I help you. You know there isn’t a lot of money in this kind of work so you may want to take up something else that pays more. If you really want to learn taxidermy you must do these things first.

1.) Stay in school there are enough dummies out there but none working in taxidermy. Study science and chemistry. You’ll need to know chemistry to be a taxidermist. Learn biology, and accounting. You’re going to have to really study to make it today in the real world.

2.) You should go to college to learn business. If you can’t do math you’re done in business so you should take collage class on business accounting and sales marketing.

3.) Go to the zoo and study the animals you’re going to one-day mount. Studying live animals is the key to learning how they move and how they are supposed to look like.

4.) Buy as many magazines on fishing and hunting and start a collection on reference materials you’ll need this to study the animals when you’re not at the zoo.

5.) Take a class on drawing and sculpting with clay. You’ll have to have some talents, but you need to start now. I did like your drawings so keep it up.

6.) I’m going to send you Tow and box string with instructions so you can learn to wrap bodies. There are supply companies that have tools for taxidermy so I’ll send you a catalog or two.

7.) You’ll need to join the National Taxidermists Association to be a modern taxidermist. I mailed in your name and address to the NTA and you will receive an official membership card so don’t loss it. You will be an official member of the National Association. This is the first step for you becoming a real taxidermist that is recognized worldwide. Just to let you know I’m one of the guys who help start the National association so we can have standards and help the industry stay professional. This is important because lots of guys worked hard to make this a profession so be serious about your membership.

I’m very busy so don’t call me but I’ll write you. I want you to stay in school and graduate. Like I said there are enough dummies in the word. I know this is not what you want to hear but your grandfather wants the best for you so I won’t show you taxidermy until you graduate from college. If you still want to be a taxidermist I’ll help you.

Richard Christoforo
    41 Union Street
    Revere Mass 02151

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG
    IMG_2626.JPG

EA, Lance.G, Cecil and 1 other person like this.
  2. jakecs

jakecs Member

Happy Birthday Richard!!!

Cecil likes this.

3. grumpa

grumpa Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICHIE!!!! And Rick, THE GODFATHER is ancient, but he's ONLY 78!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  4. Kathy

Kathy Active Member

Sol, sol, la, sol, do, ti
    Sol, sol, la, sol, re, do
    Sol, sol, sol, mi, do, ti, la
    Fa, fa, mi, do, re, do!

Cecil likes this.
  5. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    As our ancestors would say back in the old country, "Buon compleanno!"
    As the Irish say, "May you be in Heaven a week before the devil knows you're dead!

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday you ol' crusty republican! If I get out that way next summer on my way to Maine I will make a strong effort to see you!

7. EA

EA Well-Known Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Rick, I enjoyed reading your letter. Thanks for sharing.

8. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

The best Birthday wishes to you! You're an old friend and right behind me (I'm 80 years old now). I wish you nothing but the best in celebrating "your" day! Have a great Birthday Richard! Raise a little Hell in Revere! LOL!