1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help! Skull Turned Blue

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by passthru, Dec 12, 2018.

1. while in the degreasing bath with ammonia and dawn (blue stuff) set for 125-degrees the skull turned a dark bluish green. I did notice the new hot water heater heating element, all the coating came off an now is all copper? I am assuming this has something to do with the color?
    But now what. Can I remove this color? Any thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Oohh crap.

The color is copper. It has been discussed before but not often. I do not remember if Iron Out worked with this or if it was an acid bath that Cyclone suggested. Try the advanced Search and search only in "Skulls and Skeletons". Try copper stains, blue skull, green stains, green skull, copper acid, iron out copper ..... ... see if you can locate the info.

The ammonia attacked the element and dissolved the coating and exposed the copper. Then reacted with the copper which settled into the bone. If/when you replace the element, use clear clean water in your tank and place the skulls in buckets and fill the bucket with the degreasing solution. You use less materials and can monitor each skull individually. If you have a good sized tank, cut a plywood cover for it and cut holes that will fit and support a number of 5 gallon buckets.

3. Great, I have looked everywhere and not able to locate the Archived forums?

4. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

Use the "Search" button feature at the top of this page.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Search at the top. Mouse over it and a drop down will open with "More" in it. Click on "More" as that is the advanced search.