1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing Glue From Cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Joshua Eastman, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Joshua Eastman

Joshua Eastman New Member

Alright, so I made an error that I will never make again this afternoon. I'm mounting up a deer of my own and I did a test fit prior to tanning once it was all cleaned up. I had a lot of room and really was not worried about it. I was in a bit of a time pinch before work so I threw on the hide paste and got the Cape on. Got the Y sewed up and then realized there was no way I could make the neck area work without wrinkles or extra pieces. I immediately cut the thread and got the ear liners out. I inverted everything and soaked in water/kemal 4. I removed it and let the Cape air dry for a few and rinsed it in water and it appeared to be pretty clear compared to the very cloudy first wash.

Dont beat a dead horse, my lesson is learned. My question is, do you think the Cape will be okay? I work nights so I will assess it when I get off at 6 and this all happened around 4. I'm going to try to remount in the morning pending how tired I am.

Thank you!

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

It should be OK. If you are too tired to mount it in the morning, lay it out flat in the freezer on a piece of cardboard til the weekend when you have more time. It will freeze and thaw much quicker than rolled up in a ball.

3. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Should be fine depending on the tan but like Joey said if you don't have time just freeze it till you do if you can't when you get it mounted but run out of time put a garbage bag over it till you can work on it it will stay wet then the next day you can finish it with more time it usely don't turn out good if you try to get in a hurry no matter how good are or how long you been doing it you will miss something sooner or later doing it that way. Good luck and post some pics of it when your done

4. Joshua Eastman

Joshua Eastman New Member

It worked out just fine, thank you for the quick replies gentlemen!

5. Jim Taxidermist

Jim Taxidermist Active Member

Joey, has alot of good info and is a good taxidermist.