1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Has Cwd Affected You?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by SEC, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    That is the craziest thing I have heard! They are destroying an entire industry for nothing! Deer...especially buck deer are basically gay for nine months out of the year! They lick and groom each other continuously! And during the rut they all paw, and lick the same ground and branches! Who is running this show.....a retard college student?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Ron' they're scared and don't know what to do. They make up stupid rules for the public to follow but do the opposite themselves. Gobment sharp shooters shoot these deer off of corn piles. The exact thing they like to blame for the spread of the disease. Go figure.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I suppose when the last deer has succumbed, the individuals who have depended solely on deer and skulls, the individuals who never went to the trouble of learning anything in taxidermy past a silly deer head, the individuals who took the easiest money away from people who were trying to make an honest living in this profession...those individuals will finally have to learn to be taxidermists, and mount anything that is legal to harvest. There's a whole world of opportunity out there past deer. How do I know? Because 50 years ago when I began tinkering with taxidermy, deer were scarce as hen's teeth!

4. Agreed whole heartily. The only thing that's different is the fact I can't make a living without the deer. Not enough volume of other animals in this area. I still get fish, birds etc, but not enough. I'd say closest thing to the deer would be Bobcats for me.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Joey, I agree that there is more out there but one would probably be fibbing, if they said that cervids don't play a big role in their bottom line. This isn't just a deer thing, it covers all cervids. I like to believe I'm versatile in this business and can and do work on just about anything I'm asked to but, like I already said, I would like to turn some of the other stuff away and work on more antlered big game.

6. Ron B

Alabama
    I can mount anything that walks, swims, slithers, or flys but the bread and butter of my operation is deer! So much so that everything else is just a nuisance to me! But what a shame it would be to see an entire way of life and an American heritage destroyed ...not by a disease,.... but by a over reaction to a disease!

The only place on earth were CWD has destroyed deer populations is in my hunting areas in Northwest Colorado and southern Wyoming where it was first identified 60 plus years ago! So ....dont go there because the deer and elk are all gone! Very sad indeed! Yep....put in for other units because there are no deer and elk there...nope...not any!!

livbucks likes this.
  7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I heard they arent scraping this year. They are taking a knee instead.

8. Ron B

Alabama
    I knew that chit was going to spread!!:mad:

9. Deer mounts are the very blood that keeps the heart of the shop pumping.
    The rest of the stuff is just a vitamin pill. Don’t notice any difference if i skip a pill. Some times even get choked on a pill.

3bears likes this.
  10. dhart

dhart Active Member

I retired my Taxidermy business, my hands have disabled me. 5 operations and still no relief.
    Any, I can now concentrate on hunting, but, this season, my son and I harvested two nice bucks and a doe! All were mature 3 1/2 year old deer! Being near Mt.Horeb, the CWD capital of the world, I always test them! Results, one of the bucks and the doe tested positive! Hunting is getting to be a big pain in the a$$ here. You shot em, gut em, skin them, quarter em and then have to dump them! Sucks, may not hunt next year!