1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Will A Ph Of 4 On A Frozen Skin Cause Acid Rot?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ForFoxSake, Dec 16, 2018.

1. ForFoxSake

ForFoxSake New Member

I tanned a deer cape with lutan 2 days ago. I neutralised for 30 mins after the pickle and put the cape in to tan at a pH of 3.5-4. After I tanned it I washed it in cold water and let it drip dry and froze it. I tested the pH of the skin and it was at 4.

Ive been thinking about acid rot and was wondering if I need to neutralise the cape more? It's been frozen for 2 days now. I'm just confused because the lutan instructions say to tan at a pH of 3.8, but then not to neutralise after the tan. So I'm assuming that it will be ok to be frozen still at that PH? I won't be ready for another few weeks to mount it. Should I thaw the cape and neutralise more and then freeze it again?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You’ll be fine and in reality it’s very difficult to get a proper reading on a tanned cape. Alll your checking is the outside and not the other layers .
    If you followed the directions to the T and froze it , it’s called wet tanning. We do this all the time. Just make sure the cape isn’t saturated with water. That can cause epidermal slippage.

3. ForFoxSake

ForFoxSake New Member

Oh i think I misunderstood the instructions. It said 'soak and freeze' so I froze it while it was still very wet. I might take it out and towel dry the fur a little bit and get the water and ice off?

4. ForFoxSake

ForFoxSake New Member

Also thanks for answering! It's my first deer mount AND my first deer I shot, so while it's still just a practice head and I'm not worried how it turns out I'm still stressing over it haha

Frank E. Kotula likes this.