1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Kansas Laws

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Coyena, Dec 18, 2018.

  1. Coyena

    Coyena New Member

    Hi everyone,
    I have some questions that I cannot find an answer to. The Pratt office for the KDWPT doesn't know the answer, the Kansas Association of Taxidermists doesn't know the answer, so I figured I'd ask around here before going to a lawyer.
    I want to practice small time personal taxidermy and tanning in my home in Kansas. I am talking 2 or 3 personal furbearer mounts a year total. No deer. I want to buy raw foxes from fur farms and other collectors to tan and mount for myself.
    That being said, do I need a fur buyer's license? Do I need a Taxidermy license?
    If I am buying from fur farms and collectors, they will NOT have a trapping license number to document furs with.
    I want to eventually tan furs for others small time. Do I need a license to keep other people's raw furs in my freezer until I tan them?
    A fur dealer to me is someone who drives a truck around and buys from trappers/auctions for the fashion industry. I do not want to do that. I want to collect some pelts for myself and tan them myself but I do not want to break any laws by having them in my freezer.
    Kansas taxidermists, what licenses do you need/have??
    Thank you.