1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shaving Tanned Hides

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by deerhunter1964, Dec 18, 2018.

1. deerhunter1964

deerhunter1964 Member

I have a few hides tanned already and in the freezer, but I just ordered a fleshing machine. My question is can the hides be shaved after being tanned? I currently have a mini flesher, but decided to upgrade. Thank you for your help!!

2. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Depends on how they was tanned I would think should have been shaved when they was pickled that's what it's for to plump the skin to make it easier to shave befor it's tanned but it depends on the tan too

3. nemo

nemo Active Member

I use a McKenzie tan and do all my shaving on a Dakota 5 after tanning. I tan, wash, towel dry, tumble, and shave. No problems all. Shaving after pickling causes more rust issues with my fleshing machine

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If they were commercially tanned, they may be shaved as thin as possible just short of cutting hair roots. Then shaving could cause a problem.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes plain and simple
    You’ll find it much better now with your machine and pickled hides than the tanned ones.
    Being new to this use back hides and learn from them on shaving thin capes.

6. deerhunter1964

deerhunter1964 Member

7. deerhunter1964

deerhunter1964 Member

Thanks everyone. I also use the McKenzie tan, so I just wanted to make sure. I've watched a ton of videos and most are shaving after the pickle, since the skin is swelled up.

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If you like rub on tans look into more stable ones like
    Liqua-tan
    Tru-bond
    Pro-1
    Their rub on tans are a better quality with a lot less issues in the end.